Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

differences between powerbi.com and report server?

Hi please excuse the double posting in both these forums, but i am just trying to get an idea of the main differences between using only the on prem solution vs  the cloud in terms of functionality.

The differences i have so far are the following, is there anything else you can add to this?

Power BI Report ServerPower BI .Com
No SubscriptionsCan subscribe to reports when udpated
Is only refeshable with SSASRefreshable with any source
no data driven alertsdata driven alerts

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

7 REPLIES 7
zlokesh
Resolver I
Resolver I

Below links shows good points to get the difference between these 2.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/compare-report-server-service

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems to me that Microsoft is pushing the best features towards the Service model. Maybe they want to push users into the Cloud because they make more money? It's not acceptable that features like pinning, embedding Views into other views, and other features are not available in Power BI on premises report server. After all, PBIRS is a paid for product, not free. Some of these features are already available by the competition, for example Tableau lets you embedd Views into other views, and even query directly a database on both the on cloud solution as well as the on premise server.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @vanessafvg,

You can see below comparison from this document Planning a Power BI Enterprise Deployment here (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-whitepapers/)

q3.PNGq4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi

Is there a latest version of this comparision chart anywhere? Or are these differences still hold good.

I am looking to see if there are any improvements/functionalities added now or on any approximate timeline on when we can expect self service BI and Natural language query added to On Premise server.

Thanks

Sushma

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI @sn123,

I think what you are really wanting is a published roadmap for PBI RS, with details of which features we can expect to receive and when. If I'm right then you are not alone!! Man Happy

Myself and others have been posting for many months to ask the Microsoft RS team to give us a more professioinal approach to the release of future RS versions. At the moment all we know is that they are doing their best and hope to get something out soon. Communication could be better. 

It had been stated by MS that there would be an RS releases every 3 to 4 months, but we are now 5 months since the last release, and still no date announched or expected content detailed. This extended delay means there are loads of Cloud service features to catch-up on making the job of the RS team harder in playing catch-up, at this rate the RS version is going to fall further and further behind. We love PBI RS, but this is now becoming a worry. Man Sad

Can anybody at MS comment please @v-qiuyu-msft

Rob

vanessafvg
Super User
Super User

Hi please excuse the double posting in both these forums, but i am just trying to get an idea of the main differences between using only the on prem solution vs  the cloud in terms of functionality.

The differences i have so far are the following, is there anything else you can add to this?

Power BI Report ServerPower BI .Com
No SubscriptionsCan subscribe to reports when udpated
Is only refeshable with SSASRefreshable with any source
no data driven alertsdata driven alerts

If I took the time to answer your question and I came up with a solution, please mark my post as a solution and /or give kudos freely for the effort 🙂 Thank you!

Proud to be a Super User!

@vanessafvg The Report Server will soon have support for more datasources, the team has blogged about this. Think of the Report Server functionality as supporting reports that come from the Desktop, that's it. The Service will have all the advanced features that probably won't ever make it to the Report Server. Natural Language Q&A, Quick Insights, Alerts, Power Apps integration, streaming, etc. But on the same track, The PBI Report Server has capabilities not in the Service. Basically all the functionality and capabilities of SSRS in its new form.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.