Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wzhang
Frequent Visitor

can't create folder on power BI report server

Hi,

I am going to save my Power Bi report to a new folder on the power BI report server, but I can't create the folder under Home page, I have the System Administrator, System User permission. please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Someone who is local administrator on the server, should also grant you "Content Manager" for the Home folder. By default only local administrators of server have access to completely manage the server. By adding a user to a site role (System Administrator, System User) they get some permissions at the site level, but that doesn't automatically adds item level roles for Home folder. See here for more details about the permissions of SSRS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/granting-permissions-on-a-native-mo...

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @wzhang,

Please restart your PBI Report Server Service and run IE browser as Administartor role. Also, please make sure your current account is added under "Site Settings".

1.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi Yuliana,

it doesn't work, my account is added uder "Site Settings" with System AdministratorSystem User roles, but I can't see any menu to create a new folder in IE. 

Can you check the secuirty of Home folder? You may need to add yourself to the Content Managers there. Can you provide a screen shot of what you see when you log on?

wzhang
Frequent Visitor

please see the Home folder when I log on, I can't see how to create a new folder. Thanks.

PowerBiHome.jpg

All I can glean from this screenshot is that the server doesn't recognize you as the administrator. Can you explain a bit about the setup? Is it installed on a sefver? Whag type of authentication are you using? What does it show on the top right corner? That should be your name or account. Is that the correct one?
wzhang
Frequent Visitor

The report server was configurated by someone else who already left, I just took over his job. The report server was installed on the same server with SQL database, I use windows authentication to login report server portal (server/reports). The top right corner is my name, it displays correctly. IT manager gave me “System Administrator, System User permission” role permission to Home folder. Please let me know if you need other details.

Someone who is local administrator on the server, should also grant you "Content Manager" for the Home folder. By default only local administrators of server have access to completely manage the server. By adding a user to a site role (System Administrator, System User) they get some permissions at the site level, but that doesn't automatically adds item level roles for Home folder. See here for more details about the permissions of SSRS:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/security/granting-permissions-on-a-native-mo...

wzhang
Frequent Visitor

Thank you, all sorted.

pbx
Helper V
Helper V

I assume you are doing this through portal and you receive some error message? Could you please share the error message details and any relevant info in the log files?

wzhang
Frequent Visitor

yes, I am doing it via portal (http://server/reports/browse/), I can't see create folder or new menu, so don't know how and where to create a folder. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.