Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cadency

an error occurred while attempting to save the report to power bi report server

Im sure this is asked a lot but yet another person is having this problem.

Ive installed the report server, ive set up the web service and portal, ive connected to a database, ive set up all the accounts. but when i go to save my report it pulls the error. It still connects to the server just error while saving the report. I tried reinstalling the server, restarting it and my actual server, ive tried changing the service account, saving other files but nothing seems to work. Any help would be great.

7 REPLIES 7
cascador84
Helper I
Helper I

HI all,

did you find any solution ?

we update our reportserver to latest release 1.9.7627.11028 (october 2020) and problems still occurs.
with power bi desktop RS x64 2.86.1321.0, the first time we try to save report on server, we got an "Unexpected error occurs" message. Then after, we trying to save it again, we are blocking on the selection of report server list.

in the log, we got those kind of message:

Received request GET /api/v2.0/CatalogItems(Path='pathofpowerbi.pbix')| RequestID = s_c2ef4116-5d6a-40c7-946e-649d89cc03b2 
2020-12-16 10:53:46.7025|INFO|4|Sending response. Response code myusername 404, Elapsed time 0:00:00.3065887| RequestID = s_c2ef4116-5d6a-40c7-946e-649d89cc03b2 

regards,

Anonymous
Not applicable

You should check if your dataset contains columns or measures that contains errors. If so, delete these columns/measures and retry to save

where would i see the errors? I dont see any one my power bi but i want to make sure im not missing something

Anonymous
Not applicable

Check in the fields pane if you have created some calculated measures or columns that contains errors. 

Here: 

errcolumn.png

Okay I just checked and I dont have any errors

What error message do you get when trying to save?

Have you checked the log files on the server? They may have more information about what is going wrong. (usually stored at "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles" by default). Try saving a file, then sort the log files by the last modified date then check the most recent RSPortal_* file, if that does not have any errors logged you could also check the most recent RSPowerBI* and ReportingServiceServer* files.

Microsoft just released an update that may fix this issue along with a few others

See here for the change log https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/changelog

And you can download the update from here https://aka.ms/pbireportserver 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.