Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Rs7789
Regular Visitor

"oops, something went wrong Unable to load report" error message

We’ve set-up the On-premise Power BI Report Server. I published a Power BI (pbix) report to the Report Server; the report is pulling data from a multi-dimensional SSAS data model. We’ve tested and the report outputs successfully on our local copy of Power BI Desktop optimized for Report Server. When we run the report from the report server, we get the "oops, something went wrong Unable to load report" error message when running the report. The Data source test connection looks good.

We are using Edition: SQL Server 2016 (13.0.4001.0) / Version: Developer64 for both the report server and ssas.

Does anyone have a solution for this?

6 REPLIES 6
jtarquino
Employee
Employee

If the test connection button returns success please check the logs for the detailed error in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles\RSPowerBI_**.log

I read somewhere that I need enterprise edition with software assurance. Is having the reporting server run on sql server 2016 sp1 developer edition okay? Developer edition should have the full features for development environment.

Yes developer edition have all the features but is restricted to be used only for development purposes 

You mentioned you are using "SQL Server 2016 (13.0.4001.0) / Version: Developer64 for both the report server and ssas." , SQL Server Reporting Services 2016 doesn't have support for Power BI Reports , you need to uset the Power BI Report Server , you can download it from here https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/report-server/ 

Thank you for the information.

Sorry, I meant Power BI report server. We are running "SQL Server 2016 (13.0.4001.0) / Version: Developer64" for both Power BI Report Server and SSAS. Would "SQL Server 2016 (13.0.4001.0) / Version: Developer64" still work in our Power BI Report Server "DEVELOPMENT" environment? OR would we still need sql server enterprise edition with software assurance for power bi testing purposes?

for development purposes Developer edition is ok, for production you should evaluate what is the best licensing option for you.

I just realized that this answered my question about licensing, but does not resolve the root problem of not being able to display published Power BI reports (on Power BI On Prem Report Server).

I checked the "RSPowerBI..." log files. I'm getting the error: "|ERROR|19|Error occurred while retrieving pbix file from Portal. Status Code: Forbidden, Message: |".

Any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.