Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

after jan PBIRS 2021 we get the "We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server" error

HI!

After we upgraded our on premises powerBI server to the jan 2021 version, upgraded our PBIDesktopRS as well.

We have multiple PBIX files published to our on premises server all of them connected to our SQL server 2016 using DirectQuery mode.

After the upgrade, whenever we are executing any  of them we get the following error.

"We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string correctly." on all our reports.

weird that on PowerBi Desktop RS they work, but when i publish them, we get that error on the server.

honestly im a newbie in this stuff and im trying to figure it out. Any help will be appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9
blynchdata
Resolver I
Resolver I

One thing that happens to me sometimes is I test my local Power BI RS report file pointing to a test server, but then I deploy the report to the production Report Server. The Report Server cannot access my test server data source, so I get the error you describe. 

I go back into my local Power BI report file, point it to my production SSAS data source, then re-publish to the Report Server. 

Could it be something like this?

Hi @Anonymous ,

It could be a kerberos error when you report server and sql server is not in the same sever. Please refer to the steps in https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

actually i am pointing to the server it is going to reside finally. thats the weird thing! im not even using SSAS to this... im using a SQL server connectlion! whats what made me to ask for help here.

Thanks !

Anonymous
Not applicable

把预览功能中的:使用增强的元数据格式存储数据集 去掉

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Please firstly try to check the credential is provided correctly in report server and if the user have sufficient permission to access the database as the same as it is provided in power bi desktop for RS.

If all above are correct, please try to follow the steps below:

Copy the following libraries from the bin directory of PowerBI Desktop for RS into PowerBI Report Server's PowerBI directory

1. For Desktop for RS, copy the following files from C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop RS\bin (adjusting for your base installation directory)
    1. Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AzureClient.dll
    2. Microsoft.AnalysisServices.AzureClient.dll.manifest
    3. msolap.dll
  2. Copy the files to Power BI Report server C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\PowerBI (adjusting for your base installation directory)

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

now I get "We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string correctly."

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems to be a credential error. Would you please check in the data source page if the credential have been set correctly and test connection for it:

Untitled picture.png

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

Anonymous
Not applicable

Put my credentials on it, it was with the user viewing the report, and it connectedimage.png

but then when trying to run the report gave me this.

jrcolons_0-1615391640912.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

tried but with no avail... thanks for the workaround!

José

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.