Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Word Wrap disappearing when report published to Report Server

Created a report using PBI Desktop, and took about an hour to get the column headings right on this matrix, as I have three matrixes showing the same columns, but from different sources and can't find a way to make all of the headings the same size.  However, it looks ok, and most of the headings are wrapped.  

Wrapped.PNG

But when I publish this to my report server, the word wrap disappears.

Not Wrapped.PNG

Any suggestions gratefully received (mostly concerned about the word wrap not happening on the server)

EDIT***  Forgot to say in my original post that I have tried turning off column auto resize on the the report, made no diffierence.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It looks like the update (2018 March) solved the problem, likely it was a bug which got fixed.

What I noticed is that when I opened my reports with the updated desktop app, the "Word Wrap" was OFF, I set it to ON, uploaded it, and it worked.

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also have this problem. On my report page, I have two matrices. One of them contains three columns, the middle one contains UNICHAR(10) line breaks and renders correctly when published. The other matrice contains two columns, the rightmost of which contains UNICHAR(10) line breaks but does NOT render correctly, i.e. word wrap has no effect and the UNICHAR(10) line breaks are not respected. 

This is recent behavior - up until this week both tables rendered correctly. 

Both tables look correct in POwer BI Desktop. The issue is only observed on publication to the service.

In order to 'fix' this issue I have had to hard code the required formatting on the Values fields (i.e. FORMAT the value to text and then concatenate with  several UNICHAR(10) characters.

Bigtuna

Hi,

I'm encountering a similar problem but with the Card visual. I have word wrap on in the desktop app but after publishing to services it gets turned off under format settings. Do anyone have a solution for this?

Thanks!

purana2002
Helper I
Helper I

Word Wrap.JPG

Please turn off the Auto-size column width and turn on the Word-wrap.

pavithran
Frequent Visitor

This worked for me. In the power Bi desktop In cloum Headers TurnOff Word Wrap and TurnOn Word wrap back again and publish to Power Bi server.

It looks like the update (2018 March) solved the problem, likely it was a bug which got fixed.

What I noticed is that when I opened my reports with the updated desktop app, the "Word Wrap" was OFF, I set it to ON, uploaded it, and it worked.

wilhelmF
Frequent Visitor

We also have the the problem. Any workarounds?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Wilhelm

I have fixed the issue, but I don't want to post an answer as it is very unsatisfactory and I cannot replicate it at will.  All I did was "play around" with the controls like autosizing column headings and word wrap on values, publish the report and one time it worked.  Then I just used the format painter to copy the formatting to the other matrices I was having issues with.

I tried going back and repeating what I did on other reports, but I could not get it to work reliably.

Sorry I can't be of more help

Arklur
Resolver II
Resolver II

You are not the only one who has this problem, It's also not working for me and I tried enabling the "auto width" for the Matrix, but it didn't solve the issue. Too bad it's still not fixed :(.

EDIT: Though I'm talking about values in rows, not the column headers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am facing this same problem. My auto-size and word wrap settings are enabled and I've saved over my report several times. Does anyone know of another way to solve this problem? Or might I expect for it to be resolved in an upcoming version of the Report Server? I'm really in a pickle here.  

CristinaLia
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Anonymous,

Not a solution, but just to say I have the exact same problem. I believe it's a Server problem. The word wrap functionallity doesn;t seem to work for column headers, values... not even for card visuals.

Regards,

Cristina

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @CristinaLia, at least I know I am not going mad!

v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, to keep the column headers wrapped after being published to Report Server, we should turn on the "Auto-size column width".

1.PNG2.PNG

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Yuliana

Thanks for your response, but your solution does not work.  Even if it did, as soon as I refresh my report, I lose all of my column widths.

Just to check, here is where I have set the option you mention;

Setting Word Wrap.PNG

And when I publish, the headings are not word wrapped.

Hi @Anonymous,

You should turn on the "Auto-size column width" option, meanwhile, turn on the "Word wrap".

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again @v-yulgu-msft, but I have tried all combinations of this, and my server still won't show wrapped column headings.

Hi @Anonymous,

Please change a different browser for a test.

Regards,

Yuliana Gu

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yulgu-msft

Thanks for the feedback.  I have tested with Chrome, Firefox and IE11, none of which wrapp the column headings.

Just a thought, could it be because my report server is the development version, rather than the production version?  We have not set up our production server yet, which is why we are using a development licence at the moment.

Hi @Anonymous,

Just wanted to say that I tried overwriting my report a few times, and all visuals where I have used word wrap now work. maybe you could give it a go?

Regards,

Cristina

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @CristinaLia

Thanks for the feedback.  Oddly, I have two matrices that are pretty much identical and without any intervention from me, one of them just started doing the word wrap.......  I will take your advice and see how I go!

All the best, hope it works for you!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.