Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

With PBI RS, where are reports opened?

Hi,

I've read that PBI RS is mainly a way to open PBI Desktop reports, and now i have a doubt:

when using PBI RS, the PBIx reports are opened on the local installation of PBI Desktop? Or does PBI RS have some kind of area to open PBIx files inside?

I haven't used PBI RS but i believe PBIx files are opened inside the local installation of PBI Desktop, and that also means that the user can:

- go to File menu and save as pdf, without any control from PBI Admin (if it exists?)

- does RLS work just as good as in PBI Service? i ask because if user has access to PBIx file, probably he can change the existing roles on PBIx file, right?

- To finish, is there any admin console, like in PBI Service, that allows the admin to prevent Exporting Data, Save to Pdf (as previously mentioned) and save as PBIx file (i don't think that this last one is appliable)

Regards

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Reports are opened/viewed within the PBIRS portal, which a web application that ships with PBIRS.

You can set permissions for your users, which will disable their ability to download the PBIX and open it in PBI Desktop.

With regard to RLS, i believe this is a new feature of PBIRS August 2018, I haven't used it yet so can't comment.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS is only avilable on reports with Live Connections to SSAS Tabular models (which I have used) and on Direct Query to SQL Server Relational datasources (which I haven't used, only read about), the details of each are somewhat different.

RLS defined inside a PBIX is not currently supported, though I believe it is planned but when it might turn up I obviously have no idea. Using this form of RLS your users would indeed be able to alter the RLS if they had permissions to download and edit the PBIX file. You can limit them to just being able to view it using their web browser so most users would not be able to do so.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

Reports are opened/viewed within the PBIRS portal, which a web application that ships with PBIRS.

You can set permissions for your users, which will disable their ability to download the PBIX and open it in PBI Desktop.

With regard to RLS, i believe this is a new feature of PBIRS August 2018, I haven't used it yet so can't comment.

Hope this helps.

Power BI is expected to be on next release of PBI RS.

November 2018

See roadmap here

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/business-applications-release-notes/October18/intelligence-platform...

October '18 summary of planned features for Power BI - Release Notes | Microsoft Docs

Power BI Report Server

Feature Release type Target release month
Support for new features of Power BI reportsGeneral AvailabilityNovember 2018
Row-level security (RLS)General AvailabilityNovember 2018
Export to ExcelGeneral AvailabilityNovember 2018
Anonymous
Not applicable

RLS is only avilable on reports with Live Connections to SSAS Tabular models (which I have used) and on Direct Query to SQL Server Relational datasources (which I haven't used, only read about), the details of each are somewhat different.

RLS defined inside a PBIX is not currently supported, though I believe it is planned but when it might turn up I obviously have no idea. Using this form of RLS your users would indeed be able to alter the RLS if they had permissions to download and edit the PBIX file. You can limit them to just being able to view it using their web browser so most users would not be able to do so.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.