Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Why does my Custom Connector not refresh?

Hi Guys,

I've successfully created a custom connector and published it on my personal gateway and was able to refresh it. Due to company policy, I can't keep that connector on my gateway and have had to migrate it to another cluster on which I am not an Admin but a user of that connector. I set up the report, found the connector on the gateway and when I tested the refresh, it gave me this error:

2020-04-28 17_21_10-Power BI.png

{"error":
  {"code":"PowerBINotAuthorizedException","pbi.error": 
    {"code":"PowerBINotAuthorizedException",
     "parameters":{},
     "details":[],
     "exceptionCulprit":1
    }
  }
}

Please can you support?

Kind Regards,

Andrei

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I have not done a lot of work with custom connectors but this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-custom-connectors#considerations-and-limit... has the following note in the section on Considerations and Limitations :

• For custom connectors to work with the on-premises data gateway, they need to implement a “TestConnection” section in the custom connector’s code. This section isn't required when you use custom connectors with Power BI Desktop. For this reason, you can have a connector that works with Power BI Desktop, but not with the gateway. For more information on how to implement a TestConnection section, see this documentation.

Have you created a TestConnection method in your connector?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

I have not done a lot of work with custom connectors but this page https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-gateway-custom-connectors#considerations-and-limit... has the following note in the section on Considerations and Limitations :

• For custom connectors to work with the on-premises data gateway, they need to implement a “TestConnection” section in the custom connector’s code. This section isn't required when you use custom connectors with Power BI Desktop. For this reason, you can have a connector that works with Power BI Desktop, but not with the gateway. For more information on how to implement a TestConnection section, see this documentation.

Have you created a TestConnection method in your connector?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Yes I can confirm the TestConnection has been added. It worked on My personal Gateway. 

2020-04-29 08_51_37-PBIAPI.pq - Visual Studio Code.png

I think I have found the reason in the document you provided. In the last bullet point it says:

• OAuth for custom connectors via gateways is currently supported only for gateway admins but not other data source users.

That's not a good news after all the work I've put in. Thanks for the support

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.