Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which version and how to license?

My company has tasked me to investigate the feasbiltiy of consolidating our reporting into a single platform/framework (if possible)

We sell an application that current has an embedded suit of paginated Crystal reports.  These are a very old version, V10 I beleive.  We also have a web based dashboards and self service reporting module built around LogiAnalytics Logi Info platform.  We also use Tableau Desktop and PowerBI Desktop for adhoc internal use.

Our software is delivered via Citrix thin client and we host about 20% of our customers and deliver the applicaiton as software as a service. The other 80% of customers host the software themselves but with a goal to move as many as possible to our hosted platform.

Each customer will have between 5-15 report consumers, and perhaps 0-3 power users who want to build their own reports.

Most reports/dashboards will be built soley by me and I need to be able to easily deploy and update reports to all 50 of our customer servers.  The database at each site is identical so will use the same data sources etc.  Our current deployment is based on simply copying .RPT files and running some SQL scripts. Very fast. 

All of the customer base has SQL Server Standard. 

My first thought was to replace Crystal with SQL Server SSRS for delivery of the paginated reports.  I also beleive SSRS can deliver the power user self service part too and is included in the SQL Server Standard license cost.

For the dashboards and high level managment style BI.  I read that if we use Power BI Server, we can make this kind of BI available to our customers via Power BI Server but also host the paginated SSRS reports, is this correct?

Many of our customers have strict data protection policies so we cannot send any data up to the cloud.  It must be on premise solutions only. 

Based on this mixed scenario for BI and paginated reports and self service, which PowerBI version do I need, how is it licensed, and how do I figure out the total costs?

0 REPLIES 0

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.