Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Which IPs should be whitelisted to allow data refresh

Dear PowerBI community,

Since last week, my organization started whitelisting IP addresses to increase security. 

However, since this initiative, multiple PowerBI reports of various firms we make reports for are not refreshing anymore in PowerBI service and also in the desktop version.

Most PowerBI reports we build for other firms still work normal, with automatic data refreshes. 

This indicates that the problem is likely not influenced by the data gateway, as this is the same for the working reports.

The error message I receive for the reports that do not work anymore in PowerBI desktop is as follows:

"[DataSource.Error] Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.  [DataSourceKind = \"SQL\"].

I am wondering how I can find out which IP addresses I need to whitelist to solve these issues. When I opened the developer tools window in Chrome and looked for IP addresses when I refreshed my reports, I discovered that the request URL WABI-NORTH-EUROPE... has a remote IP address of 20.38.84.XXX. As I believed this was the IP address used by PowerBI to retrieve the data (via Azure?), I whitelisted all IP addresses in the range of 20.38.84.000 - 20.38.84.255. 

However, this was not effective. 

Do you have any advice on how I can find out which IP addresses I need to whitelist to solve my data refresh problems?

Thank you a lot in advance!

Jeffrey 

Screenshot 2020-09-10 at 10.10.21.pngPowerBI developer in chrome copy.png

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous 

You can download the Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP list, which is updated weekly or configureto allow outbound connections to FQDN's rather than IP's.

You can refer to these thread:https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Mass-IP-Whitelisting-for-Azure-Datacenter/m-p/173665 

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/54456612/how-to-allow-the-azure-data-center-ip-address-dynamical... 

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

@Greg_Deckler Is there a more updated link to the current Microsoft Azure Datacenter IPs? This appears to have been deprecated in June 2020. Thanks!

@Anonymous : Since you are having issues with both PowerBI service and PowerBI Desktop, I don't think the issue is related to external IP or due ot whitelisting IP with an assumption that you are accessing the data source directly from PowerBI Desktop.  If so, the issue is at the datasource network settings, ask your network admins to check the connection from the data source. This could have happened due to the latest secuirty measures they are putting in place.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.