Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mikeriess

When will we need Enterprise / pro license for hosting?

Hi guys,

Im working on helping a client with getting to use data from my company's SQL 2012 (Amazon EC2) server with microsoft powerBI. Have been looking around this page + youtube for some hours now, but I havent still found out:

When will my client have to get an enterprise / pro license for PowerBI? Is it when they exceed an amount of users on the solution, or as soon as they want to use the 'gateway' to connect data on our SQL server?

Here's what I have found out about the needs so far:

They have around 20 users which needs access to different tables on our SQL server. These users should then be able to share reports/dashboards with each other, preferably with data that is self-updated. I think that total amount data will be less than 20 gb for the next couple of years. 

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1 REPLY 1
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @mikeriess,

When will my client have to get an enterprise / pro license for PowerBI? Is it when they exceed an amount of users on the solution, or as soon as they want to use the 'gateway' to connect data on our SQL server?

Here's what I have found out about the needs so far:

They have around 20 users which needs access to different tables on our SQL server. These users should then be able to share reports/dashboards with each other, preferably with data that is self-updated. I think that total amount data will be less than 20 gb for the next couple of years. 

As a data source used in Power BI report, Enterprise edition for SQL Servre is not an essential requirement. What SQL Server edition to choose depends on what supported features you need in SQL Server.

In order to share reports/dashboards with colleagues inside or outside your organization, users need a Power BI license. To use on-premise gateway to schedule refresh dataset, users need a Pro license.

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.