Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dpombal
Post Patron
Post Patron

When Importing data on PBIX , where is the data stored?

Hi all, 

When publishing a report PBIX to on premise PowerBI Report Server, Where is the info stored?

On

• Machine with PowerBI Report Server
  • Inside ReportServer and ReportServerTemp Catalog Databases?

Is there a PBIX file limit for Import using Powerbi Report Server 

Regards

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

A copy of the PBIX seems to be stored in the dbo.Catalog table in the Content column.

If you find a PBIX file in here get its ItemID (GUID)

This is split out into a number of rows within the dbo.CatalogItemExtendedContent table. 

If you query this table with the ItemID of your PBIX you will see two or three rows with content types of

CatalogItem
PowerBIReportDefinition
DataModel

The DataModel row seems to be the elemnt that gets updated by any scheduled refresh.

Most of our data models are tens of Mb so I can't really speak to how it scales. For our bigger data sets we use a SSAS Tabular model and a live connection. Those guys scale up to tens of Gb.

There is a config/property on the server called MaxFileSizeMb which is currently set to 1000. I think this is probably used during upload/submission but the data blob could theoretically get bigger than this in the DB.

Thanks, will to monitor and limit the number of snapshots report stores (PBIX file is 150 MB size) and having 4/5 copies in enough for me

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.