Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

When I 'Edit in Power BI Desktop' from PBIRS data is older than on server

When I open a Power BI report from the report server, the data is always older than it is in the version of the report on the server. This applies to reports I have previously had open in the desktop client but have been updated on the server since I last had them open in PBI Desktop.

Is it using data cached on the local PC? If so can I force it to use the data from the server instead? 

When the file is big it can take a long time to refresh in the desktop client before saving back to the server.

Thanks for any suggestions.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

If I'm working on it in the desktop client I would usually like to refresh the data before uploading it to the server so users don't see an older version of the data before the next refresh on the server. 

Also, if I open it in desktop I might want to see it with the latest data before I save it back to the server.

If it's a big file it can be slow to refresh (especially from desktop via VPN), so it would be helpful if I could remove the cached version of the data before downloading the file from the server.  

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Les111
Resolver I
Resolver I

If I'm working on it in the desktop client I would usually like to refresh the data before uploading it to the server so users don't see an older version of the data before the next refresh on the server. 

Also, if I open it in desktop I might want to see it with the latest data before I save it back to the server.

If it's a big file it can be slow to refresh (especially from desktop via VPN), so it would be helpful if I could remove the cached version of the data before downloading the file from the server.  

FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

Unfortunately you can't download file with latest data. 

The file that you uploaded/published on PBIRS is the one you can download. you can replace that report with latest report after refreshing the data.

PBRIS creates its own engine and analysis services and creates the model there and store it in Server side. the file that you uploaded carry its original data and serves as snapshot.

Why are you trying to refresh on Desktop and loaded back to PBIRS ?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.