Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DineshDwilco
Frequent Visitor

What is the benefits Power BI report Server Premium and SQL Server Enterprise/Standard/Developer Ve?

Hi folks,

I need Clarity about Power BI Server Premium and SQL Server Enterprise Edition.  what are the benefits will get Install both(PBI and SQL server Enterprise)? and is possible to Install Power BI Premium with Standard Edition what are the benefits will get?

Regards 

Dinesh D

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
blynchdata
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @DineshDwilco 

We are running SQL Server 2016 Standard and Power BI Report Server with our Power BI Premium license key.

It works well, though the limitations of SQL Server 2016 are a bit hindering and frustrating. The Power BI Desktop for Report Server is also a bit limiting as well compared to the normal, full fledged Power BI Desktop. 

For the benefits, the main one is that I can get shareable Power BI reports into my readers' hands sooner rather than later and publish them inline with 80+ legacy SSRS reports. This gives me time to decide what to do with these existing SSRS reports. I can publish these SSRS reports to our Power BI Premium workspace, but going through the On-Premise Data Gateway is just too slow. 

Overall though, we are liking it. We see this as just a stepping stone for hopefully no more than a year as we move our assets up to Azure and can then more fully utilize our Power BI Premium workspaces. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
blynchdata
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @DineshDwilco 

We are running SQL Server 2016 Standard and Power BI Report Server with our Power BI Premium license key.

It works well, though the limitations of SQL Server 2016 are a bit hindering and frustrating. The Power BI Desktop for Report Server is also a bit limiting as well compared to the normal, full fledged Power BI Desktop. 

For the benefits, the main one is that I can get shareable Power BI reports into my readers' hands sooner rather than later and publish them inline with 80+ legacy SSRS reports. This gives me time to decide what to do with these existing SSRS reports. I can publish these SSRS reports to our Power BI Premium workspace, but going through the On-Premise Data Gateway is just too slow. 

Overall though, we are liking it. We see this as just a stepping stone for hopefully no more than a year as we move our assets up to Azure and can then more fully utilize our Power BI Premium workspaces. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.