Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Xain_deSleena
Frequent Visitor

What is the Upload button for in Power BI Report Server on Premis?

I have tried the January 2021 and May 2021 release of Power BI Report Server. One of the problems we have is that we cannot Upload paginated (non Power BI - plain SSRS report). When I click the Upload button and select the file, in the January edition there was an error in the June edition nothing happens? The window that opens the file closes and no file is uploaded. What does this upload button do? How do you get non-Power BI reports into the Power BI Report Server? I can create a report with Report Builder but I cannot upload one of the many hundreds of reports I need to upload that have already been created previously in SSRS 2014.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Xain_deSleena wrote:

I have tried the January 2021 and May 2021 release of Power BI Report Server. One of the problems we have is that we cannot Upload paginated (non Power BI - plain SSRS report). When I click the Upload button and select the file, in the January edition there was an error 

What is the error message? (note you may need to look in the logs folder on the server)

I just tested this on our Jan 2021 instance and it worked fine.

@Xain_deSleena wrote:

How do you get non-Power BI reports into the Power BI Report Server? I can create a report with Report Builder but I cannot upload one of the many hundreds of reports I need to upload that have already been created previously in SSRS 2014.

I typically do not manually upload reports I deploy them from SSDT. If you created your existing reports using SSDT you can just used that to deploy your reports.

But there are at least 3 mechanisms for getting paginated reports onto Report Server.

1. The upload button (not sure why yours is not working)
  2. Save As from Report Builder (using http://<your server>/reportserver in the save as box to connect to your server)
  3. Using the deploy option from SSDT

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Xain_deSleena
Frequent Visitor

We found that we had an entry in the hosts file to point to 127.0.0.1 for the URL so we commented this out and we also recycled the URL entries in the Configuration manager and things look better. Thanks for your help.

Xain_deSleena
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for your replies. There does not seem to be an error in logs when uploading I will double check.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Xain_deSleena wrote:

I have tried the January 2021 and May 2021 release of Power BI Report Server. One of the problems we have is that we cannot Upload paginated (non Power BI - plain SSRS report). When I click the Upload button and select the file, in the January edition there was an error 

What is the error message? (note you may need to look in the logs folder on the server)

I just tested this on our Jan 2021 instance and it worked fine.

@Xain_deSleena wrote:

How do you get non-Power BI reports into the Power BI Report Server? I can create a report with Report Builder but I cannot upload one of the many hundreds of reports I need to upload that have already been created previously in SSRS 2014.

I typically do not manually upload reports I deploy them from SSDT. If you created your existing reports using SSDT you can just used that to deploy your reports.

But there are at least 3 mechanisms for getting paginated reports onto Report Server.

1. The upload button (not sure why yours is not working)
  2. Save As from Report Builder (using http://<your server>/reportserver in the save as box to connect to your server)
  3. Using the deploy option from SSDT

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.