Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

What is the Export data row count limit for Power BI Report Server?

We seem to be limited to exporting 30,000 rows of data with Power BI Report Server, but we can export 150,000 rows in Power BI Service.  Is there an official row limitation for Report Server and is anyone able to export more than 30k rows?  This is a big limitation for us and I truly hope there is a solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

After confirmation from PG internally, we can only export data to .csv currently. And maximum number of rows that can be exported .csv is 30,000.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

After confirmation from PG internally, we can only export data to .csv currently. And maximum number of rows that can be exported .csv is 30,000.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Yes, agreed.  The Microsoft Power BI product team told us the same late last week:  Power BI Report Server data export is limited to 30k rows, while Power BI Service can export 150k rows.  

I was disappointed to learn that the underlying reason for this capability difference is to help drive the growth of Microsoft's cloud business.  It is a shame that users of the on-premises solution are delivered a de-rated product (of a simple and fundamental capability) in order to make the cloud version appear more attractive.  In our case, this means that painful and time consuming work-arounds will continue to be required simply to produce raw data for our finance group for their Excel-based analysis and reporting process. 

As a huge fan and an advocate of Microsoft's "Power" suite, including DAX, I feel left behind by this marketing decision.  I remain hopeful that this strategy will change and that users will be able to feel safe in adopting any/either of Power Pivot for Excel, Power BI Service or Power BI Report Server.

That's extremely ridiculous - I would suspect those of us using this on-premises, the extact reason why we want something like PBIRS, would be even more inclined to do large extractions. I truly hope this is revisited as it may hinder our adoption of Power BI at all. Don't use the stick to drive people to cloud, right? Give me the carrot of a fully supported, fully functioning on-site Report Server, and I'll be more likely to leverage the Cloud service when it's appropriate for us.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

Is there a solution to this yet? Our organization is using PowerBI Report Server and the limitation of 30k, is a huge disappointment.

@Anonymous, 

May i know what is your work around, cos my current work around is simple create a raw data set on Excel for my end user 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Rookarumba, our forced workaround is to reduce the data size by filtering the time period (i.e. date field) or other slicers and then to perform multiple report data exports, then pasting the .csv data together in Excel.  Not much of a workaround -- just a lot of extra work and wasted time.  The 30k row data export limit also applies to Power BI Desktop (optimized for Report Server).  This limitation means that our own data is essentially trapped by the tool.

An additional problem is that since PBIRS does not support exporting the "Underlying data", I have to include a separate Table visual on every report page that includes all the fields in our dataset so that we can get all fields upon export.  I make these table visuals very small so that only the assigned title, Export Table, appears.   

That is another way to look at it.

Basically what I did is, I extracted the entire raw data after some processing and load it onto an Excel sheet and asked the user the work on those file and use PowerBI as a visual 😞

This is really a huge shortfall and bad for everyone that is using PowerBI Report Server or the team that build it 😞

Note that in latest versiion of PBIRS March 2018, Export data to csv does not work at all from the web portal. It only work from the desktop application optimized for PBIRS March 2018, but fails once the file is successfuly uploaded to the web portal. Please check and update on a fix. If anyone else noticed the same bug then please report it here.

Same issue with PBIRS Version 1.2.6648.38132 (March 2018) 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PatrickSeidl,

Export data is fixed with the latest build. 

Please make sure to clear your browser's cache.

Hi @Anonymous,

all I found is Version 1.2.6660.39920 (March 2018) and with this one it is still not working for me, even with a filtered, smaller list.

I assume this is the version you are refering to, right?

Cheers,

Patrick

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @PatrickSeidl,

Yes, this is the version I'm referring to. We have upgraded three different environments to the latest build and export data is working as expected.

Do the other changes in the March version work for you? For example, does the the filters pane in the browser display a scrollbar when you have a bigger count of filters? 

@Anonymousthis is strange...

Yes. I only have a few filters but if I expand them the scrollbar appears.

Restarted RS service already...

Anonymous
Not applicable

It is really dissapointing that we can only export 30k rows from the power bi report server.

We have encountered many situations where once we drill through to detail level (ex transaction level) we end up more than 30,000 rows.

Why microsoft team doesnt consider about the consumer's point of view. Imagine we have to explain all these to business users. 

I also can't export data from the Power BI Report Server March 2018 version. I click on the Elipses, select "Export data", and then...nothing....

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the heads-up!  We will wait until this fixed before we move to the March version of PBIRS.

There is a patch which fixes the export data to csv, from last week Mar. 28: see here http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Bug-in-March-2018-PBIRS-Releas-Export-Data-not-working/idi-p/...

Yeah, is not working at all and this is bad.

I've done the demo to my organization with the Oct version which allow export and now the export to excel aint working at all.

This is really bad. Is there a fix yet?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Based on my test, when we export data from a visual in Power BI report server, data is exported to .cs file instead of the .xlsx file.

From this article, the maximum data export to .csv file is 30,000 rows. I guess the limitation applies to Power BI report server as well. I will send a email to consult this issue internally. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.