Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

besthyde
Frequent Visitor

What is History snapshot retention in PBI report server and How it works ?

I saw this in site level settings but to be honest i don't know how it works and i did not see this option in any report properties,

Any one can help me on that ? Thanks a lot

微信截图_20191119175447.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

That means you are looking at a pbix based report. History Snapshots are only available for paginated (rdl based) reports.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
besthyde
Frequent Visitor

Does any one can explain me  how to use this ? 

thanks

When you click on the ... menu for a report and choose the Manage option there is a tab there for History Snapshots. This basically saves a copy of your report at that point in time. The screen you are showing is where you set the default for the number of snapshots that the system should store. If more than that number of report snapshots are saved the oldest one gets removed. You can either create snapshots manually or on a schedule.  

Hello @d_gosbell 

thanks for you reply. From what i see in the official document. I should be able to see snapshot option like you said

but i don't why this not works for me.. that's the reason i post my question

if i open one report properties i can only see

data sources

scheduled refresh

ROW-level security

Security

Any clue?

微信截图_20191125173638.jpg

That means you are looking at a pbix based report. History Snapshots are only available for paginated (rdl based) reports.

Hello,

Well, i did not realize this is not supported for PBI report. We have SSRS report to hold DRL reports. 

Thanks for the clearify anyway . Is there a plan to support PBIX report?

Thanks

QMJ

I have not seen any announcements from Microsoft saying they plan to support this.

But if I had to guess I would say that this is highly unlikely. This is an old feature from SSRS which is why it works with rdl reports. Plus the issue with pbix reports is that they are highly interactive with slicers, cross filtering and drillthrough. You can't really just take a snapshot you'd need to backup the entire file.

Hi,

I want the same feature to be enabled for few reports. I need to backup/move my current report before data refresh in every month. Is there a way to achieve this ? 

Note: Need an automatic process.

Please help me on this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.