Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

ChrisDenver0603
Frequent Visitor

What If analysis option is greyed out in Power BI Desktop

Is there conditions to when the What If parameter is enabled vs disabled in Power BI?

I've attempted to use this using DirectQuery, SSAS Live connection and Import.  There does not seem be a dependency on the data source.  The box is at first active prior to adding a data source.  Once I have connected to any source of data.  The What If parameter becomes greyed out in Power BI Desktop (Oct 2017) optimized for Report Server.  After that, I cannot seem to get it to become active again.  I've been following blogs on how to create What If parameters.  I cannot figure out why this option is greyed out.

What-IFgreyedout.PNG

Thanks for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
deepu299
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi @ChrisDenver0603 Data Modelling like using Parameters is not allowed with Live Connections. It should be enabled when you use import option. Would you be able to use March 2018 version and see if it works? 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes,The problem still exists at the latest vesrion.does anyone have a solution?

emilypoon
Advocate I
Advocate I

Further to the below PBI "What If" button greyed out issue, I am facing the same problem too.

I am using PowerBI Desktop February 2019 version and connecting to my live data.

Anyone knows how to solve this issue?

Thank you!

deepu299
Advocate V
Advocate V

Hi @ChrisDenver0603 Data Modelling like using Parameters is not allowed with Live Connections. It should be enabled when you use import option. Would you be able to use March 2018 version and see if it works? 

Hi,

The new paramter tab is disabled in case of data import as well, pls suggest.

Regards,

Titiksha

I wanted to follow up in case someone else had this issue.

Once the March 2018 Power BI Report Server came out.  This appears to have fixed this issue.

Thank you!

Hi @deepu299,
Thanks for the help on this. 
For Power BI Report Server, I'm not aware there is a March 2018 version.  Are you referring to the Power BI Desktop for Power BI.com?
We are currently using Power BI desktop optimized for Power BI Report Server. 

thanks,

@ChrisDenver0603 Yeah I was referring to Desktop. Sorry about it, I should have noticed that the question is posted under Report Server. Let's see if someone can get this. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.