Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Web Service URL not working and returns error

Hi everyone,

I am attempting to get the developer version of the Power BI Report Server up and running for testing and evaluation for my team. I am having issues with getting the Web Service URL (and Web Portal URL) to work properly as noted in all the different tutorials I have read and watched.

Currently when I click on the link provided to me by the Power BI Configuration Manager, it opens up Chrome and after a short while returns the following error message:

An internal error occurred on the report server. See the error log for more details. (rsInternalError) Get Online Help. Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

I’m a bit frustrated as to what I am missing to get this to work as the tutorials all make it seem very easy with very little troubleshooting for any common errors one may encounter.

Below is more context about my problem:

• I have installed SQLExpress onto my machine
  • I am part of a organization with an assigned user account, pw, and local administrative privileges to machine.
  • I am working from home and not connected to

Within the Power BI Reports Server configuration manager, I have the following settings:

• Product version is 15.0.1102.777 (January 2020 edition)
  • Service Account tab
    • Use built-in account: Virtual Service Account
      • Should I be using the network service option?
    • Use another account: (none)
      • Should I use my organization account and pw instead?
    • Web Service URL tab
      • Virtual directory: ReportServer
      • IP Address: all assigned (recommended)
      • TCP port: 80
      • HTTPS certificate: (not selected)
      • HTTPS port: (none)
    • Database tab
      • No current report server database configured. I do not have a separate SQL server running that I can connect the report server to. I assume that the Power BI Report Server will take care of storing the data. Please let me know if this assumption is wrong.

Is there something I have not installed, setting that I have overlooked, or something I need to set up on my machine in order for this to work?

Someone please help! 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:
    •  
    • Database tab
      • No current report server database configured. I do not have a separate SQL server running that I can connect the report server to. I assume that the Power BI Report Server will take care of storing the data. Please let me know if this assumption is wrong.

This assumption is not correct. You must configure the database tab otherwise PBIRS will not work - this is how Report Server stores it's information about the reports it has available and all the other associated metadata. If you are using a local developer instance of PBIRS you could also use a local developer instance of SQL Server. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:
    •  
    • Database tab

This assumption is not correct. You must configure the database tab otherwise PBIRS will not work - this is how Report Server stores it's information about the reports it has available and all the other associated metadata. If you are using a local developer instance of PBIRS you could also use a local developer instance of SQL Server. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @d_gosbell! Your advice was spot on. 🙂

I came to that conclusion yesterday after reading through a lot of documentation and very slowly putting the puzzle together. It was a little unintended misdirection from a colleague that set me off on this path.

Much appreciated!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.