Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

rammy
Helper I
Helper I

Using power bi How to connect company SQL server from my pc

Hi Power bi community 

i am new to power bi as of now my manager gives me a task how u will access my server in remotely by doing some modifications in sql.

At that time i am telling i want search and let u know .But as of now i didnt find any thing related to my query.

The problem i want to connect company sql server from my pc using power bi to fetch data and doing visualizations.

but  im trying some modifications like allowing remote control and udp/tcp port changing ,firewall like all these im tried but i did not fetch the data from SQL to power bi . so if any one knows what type of modifications do i need to change in sql server to give me the access from remotely please let me know   ASAP...

Thanks in Advance

10 REPLIES 10
rammy
Helper I
Helper I

Hi @HashamNiaz 

In our company no IT team is here ,actually we are the support team in our company . i joining previous month only in our team no one knows clearly ,we just tried above mentioning points only.if i do remote access ,port,firewall rule in my company server ,does it require to made some changes in my local pc access also like what ever i did in company server if do same in my pc also is it enough to access the server .help me in this please 

Thanks in advance 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rammy ,

Here is an official document describes how to enable the protocols, configure the ports, and configure the Windows Firewall for connecting to SQL Server from other computers. Please check if it could help you.

Reference:

Lesson 1: Connecting to the Database Engine - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

Lesson 2: Connecting from Another Computer - SQL Server | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Icey 

Thanks for your information . i want to know that this connection has been established in  same network or differnt network  .if it is different network how can i configure from my home pc to company pc which has been placed in Australia .If you know the things please help me to resolve this 

Thanks in advance 

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rammy ,

i want to know that this connection has been established in  same network or differnt network.

I have tested with two networks and I can connect to the SQL on virtual machine from my local computer using <IP,port> between two different network.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Icey 

these are the errors that i got when i am tryig to access data from power bi to australia sql pc  , this error getting  while i am using  ip and port details .Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: TCP Provider, error: 0 - The wait operation timed out.)"

and another one is ,this error is getting while using username and password

Details: "Microsoft SQL: A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: SQL Network Interfaces, error: 26 - Error Locating Server/Instance Specified)"

please help me 

Thanks in Advance 

Hi @Icey  

please find the below attachement and help if possible

rammy_1-1640682949361.png

rammy_2-1640683013985.png

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rammy ,

Have you configured based on the steps in the above document?

Then which authentication type are you using? Windows or Database?

Please ensure the credential you use to connect can access to your database.

sql1.PNG

sql2.PNG

Best Regards,

Icey

Hi @Icey 

i have used database option to connect the sql server  from my power bi .but getting error that one i have mentiioned above .i am using ip,port and instance,port ,servername ,port  ,host nmae, port but connection is not established.

NOTE : do i need to ping server ip to my pc is it require to establish connection

please help me in this

Thanks in Advance

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @rammy ,

NOTE : do i need to ping server ip to my pc is it require to establish connection

Please use ping to check if the connection is open. 

If the connection is open, please right click on server instance and check server properties in that click Connection and see if Allow Remote Connection is enabled.

Icey_0-1640765240957.png

If the connection is not open, and in order to help you solve the problem more quickly, please find professional network support. Thank you for your support and understanding.

Best Regards,

Icey

HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @rammy !

First of all you need to fix SQL Server connectivity issue from your local machine / laptop. Meaning you should be able to access SQL Server from your local machine using SSMS (SQL Server Management Studio). 

Your IT needs to open SQL Server for remote connections. Once you are able to access SQL Server from your local machine, you can simply connect with SQL Server using same credentials from Power BI Desktop.

Your IT might have a VPN setup whih allows you to access SQL Server through secure tunnel.

Regards,

Hasham

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.