Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mdex
Resolver I
Resolver I

Using Power BI Service Dataset in Report Server

I'm not sure if this is a gateway configuration issue or due to the fact we're running an old version.

I started using Power BI Desktop (December 2019) to learn and create a few datasets/reports. A pro license was purchased to allow me to publish to Power BI Service. I've since found out we have an on premesis development report server running May 2019. I have the Power BI Desktop RS from May 2019 also. I used Desktop RS to connect to the PBI Service Dataset and rebuilt my report.

When saving this to our PBI Report Server and opening the report I get the error 

'We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string correctly.'

I've gone into the manage option of the report and tried forcing my network login details again but the connection still fails?

4 REPLIES 4
Mark_Haggett
Regular Visitor

Never tried it before with previous versions, but yesterday we installed January 2020 RS and you can connect to the Service and your datasets. Did a very quick test and it seemed to work ok.

RS jan 2020 Get Data.png

Thansk both.

I have the PowerBI.com dataset linked linked with Desktop RS. The issue occurs when I publish the Desktop RS report to our on premesis report server and try and view the data. It's as though there is an issue connecting to the PowerBI.com dataset from our On premesis report server as it works fine in Desktop RS.

If you check here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/data-sources the Power BI Service is still listed as unsupported for Power BI Report Server.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Unfortunately this is the expected behaviour because shared datasets on PowerBI.com are not a supported data source for Power BI Report Server. And you can't even currently share datasets on the Report Server itself either. The only solution for sharing data sets in an on-premise scenario is to use SQL Server Analysis Services to create and deploy a tabular model, then you can create multiple pbix reports connected in Live Connection mode against those models. Otherwise you have to import the data into your pbix file and use a local model in your report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.