Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Using Data Sources in PowerBI Report Server (August Preview)

Hi, I have set up a Data Source on the PowerBI Server, it is a "Microsoft SQL Server" connection type, connecting to a SQL Server database. It connect successfully.

How do I use this Data Source in a report? When I open PowerBI Desktop (Report Server), there is no way to select this new Data Source.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The data source which you created in Power BI report server is not used by Power BI report. It's a shared data source which can be used by SSRS paginated reports and mobiles reports. 

To create a Power BI report, we need to connect to SQL Server data source inside of the Power BI desktop by Get Data. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
tanelabel

Seems there is no knowlable answers regarding this product.

I also have similar question, how report developers will use defined connections in power bi report server  to create reports for users.

pawlowski6132
Helper IV
Helper IV

So, I have the same question. The original question was never answered which was:

How do I use this Data Source in a report? Or, in other words how is it used at all??

ryanjlind
Advocate I
Advocate I

So, every time I want to deploy the PBIX to a different environment, I need to open it from PBI Desktop from within that environment and change the queries? That is really poor.  I do not understand why I cannot change the connection string from within Report Manager just as I can for the .rdl files.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The data source which you created in Power BI report server is not used by Power BI report. It's a shared data source which can be used by SSRS paginated reports and mobiles reports. 

To create a Power BI report, we need to connect to SQL Server data source inside of the Power BI desktop by Get Data. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Jasel
Helper II
Helper II

You have to download Power BI Desktop, and seutp the data source through that.  You can find and download Power BI desktop on Power BI Report Server at the top right hand side of the page.  It looks like an arrow pointing down.

Once you create your report/dashboard using your SQL Server connection you can deploy the report to Power Bi Report Server.

You can use THIS article to assist.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.