Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

godwinvarghese
Regular Visitor

User can see all data even if RLS enabled on Power BI Report Server

Hi,

I implemented RLS on my power BI report server (January 2019) and it went success.
Implemented the roles and users can access only the data which they are assigned to.

But the problem is, when user edit or download the report to power bi desktop, they can access all the data
in the table even though they are restricted to see only specific data via RLS.

The user have just browser permission on the report level.

I'm using January 2019 on both server and desktop.

Appreciate your answers.

Thanks
GV

8 REPLIES 8
smishra99acres
Frequent Visitor

Have you got the solution i am facing same issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi

If your users have writing permission on the workspace (Member or Contributor Workspace Role) according to the documentation, the Row Level Security doesn't apply to them.

Also, you can limit the download for a user with Pro license, by changing it "Workspace Role" from Member to Viewer

Hope this helps.

Regards

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-admin-rls

"If you have configured the workspace so that members have edit permissions, the RLS roles will not be applied to them. Users will be able to see all of the data."

I am getting all data although rls applied.

i have user UPN

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Actually, I'm thinking that's probably correct but not at all what you intended. Desktop isn't going to know about the roles per say (as in that a user is a member of a particular role). Only the Service or Server know that. I assume what you thought would occur is that when the user downloaded the PBIX that only the data they could see would be there. However, I do not believe that is the case even with the Service actually. I may be mistaken on that.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Thanks for your reply, I would like reiterate again on this. What I assume is that RLS is a data “partition” with in a table for each role.
Suppose two users with browser privilege, user1 and user2 from domain 1 and 2 respectively. With the help of RLS we can set user1 to see only domain1 data and domain2 data for user2. All data are in single table here. But if any of the user download the report from pbi server to desktop, they can see all domains data which not i expected. I expect to see only the domain data that users belongs to. Is this a bug or this is the way it designed to be?

Someone from Microsoft will have to answer definitively on this but I do not think that what you are describing is how RLS works. My understanding is that a User is tied to a Role and a Role is tied to a piece of DAX code. When RLS is enabled, the DAX code pre-filters the data model within the Service or Report Server. Outside of that model, if you allow users to download PBIX files, then it's just data.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I'm not from MS, but I've been working with the tabular engine since it was first released. Greg's answer is 100% correct. The RLS filters are an extra DAX filter that is applied at query time. The underlying data is not physically partitioned, the PBIX file contains all the data for all the roles.

So the key take away here is that if you have enabled RLS in a Power BI file you should not enable end users that are not allowed to see all the data to download the pbix file.

do we have any feature/ Process to disable the download option for the end users from downloading the data from power BI server?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.