Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Thendral_
Frequent Visitor

User Report Access for all reports

Hi ,

I have nearly 200 reports in  our Power BI Report server, i'm aware of providing report access  by opening individual reports (inside Manage & security) but is there any option to provide access in 1 step to access all 200 reports rather than opening all reports.
Kindly advice.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Thendral_ wrote:

This solution will work for global folder accessing user but when am going particular report access for an user, folder level access will not be helpful( all reports will be visible). 

So what exactly is your requirement? You said you had 200 reports and you wanted to give users access to these reports.

If you have a mixture of reports in your folders and you want users to see some but not others then the only other way to do this is to get a security group created in active directory. Then in each of these 200 reports you grant access to this group, then just add any users that need access to this set of reports to the AD group.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Workspace access does not apply to Report Server, that is only for the online service (app.powerbi.com).

I don't normally assign rights to individual reports as it gets too hard to manage. I usually click on the "Manage Folder" button in the top right and assign permissions at the folder level. Then you can just add users or AD groups to the folder. If you have already setup individual security rights on some reports you would need to go back into the security settings for the report and click on the "use same security as parent folder" button 

Thanks !! @d_gosbell ,

This solution will work for global folder accessing user but when am going particular report access for an user, folder level access will not be helpful( all reports will be visible). 

@Thendral_ wrote:

So what exactly is your requirement? You said you had 200 reports and you wanted to give users access to these reports.

If you have a mixture of reports in your folders and you want users to see some but not others then the only other way to do this is to get a security group created in active directory. Then in each of these 200 reports you grant access to this group, then just add any users that need access to this set of reports to the AD group.

Thanks @d_gosbell , I have to pay more attention to which forum all these posts are in!! 😕

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Thendral_ If they are all part of a single workspace and you don't need RLS...

Otherwise, maybe automation via the Power BI REST API?

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.