Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

NHCC_IRE
Frequent Visitor

User Permissions Error with link

Hello!

We publish reports to a local Report Server. In one report (Report 1) I have a button that has a link to open another report (Report 2). When users click on the button, the Report Server returns a User permissions error. This is strange because I have other reports with the same button and when users press the button, it opens Report 2 without any error. The same is true if users access Report 2 directly. Report 1 retrieves data from a SQL server via direct query, whereas all other reports use the data import method. Report 1 has assigned credentials in the Data Sources pane of the report so that the user credentials are not used with the SQL server. Users are assigned Roles in Report 1 using individual usernames but Report 2 and all other reports via active directory groups. If a user is assigned a Role in Report 2 using their explicit username, the error no longer appears and they can access Report 2.  Can anyone explain why this is happening? Is the direct query report trying to use the assigned credentials in the Data Sources pane of Report 1 when accessing Report 2 via the link?

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

- - - Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
NHCC_IRE
Frequent Visitor

I solved the problem, but not sure why it works. I gave the assigned data source credentials in Report 1 a Browser role in the folder in which Report 2 was stored. The user could then access Report 2 via the link in Report 1. If anyone can explain why giving the assigned data source credentials in Report 1 a Browser role explicitly in Report 2 did NOT solve the problem, I would greatly appreciate it!

- - - Andrew

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Was the user that is seeing this error added to the domain group recently? Group membership is cached when the user logs in, so if they were recently added to a group they would need to log out and back in to pick up any new groups.

d_gosbel,

Thanks for the reply. Sadly, no - the user was not recently add to the domain group the user has been part of the group for several years

- - - Andrew

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.