Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

shyammayhs
Advocate II
Advocate II

Use pbix model in Paginated Report

Hi guys, I would like to use the same data model or dataset I have used in a Power BI report in a paginated report. Is this possible? What are my options in creating a pdf version of the report?

Thanks guys!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@shyammayhs :  Please see my response below 

If the .pbix dataset has multiple tables, measures etc. How do I approach this? because in Paginated reports, the query was loading the data as one table?

You can connect to PowerBI Dataset and all the tables that are available on PowerBI dataset will be available for you in the paginated report through 'Report builder'. You can pick and choose what you want in your paginated reports.  You can also add any additional measure or columns if you want or you can simply use all the measures and column that get imported from dataset.

ponnusamy_0-1631905574056.png

If you have multiple tables in your PowerBI Dataset, all of them will be available for you (see the pic below)

ponnusamy_2-1631905802319.png

is this okay to do? and how is the data model managed then?

The data model (Dataset) can still be maintained using Power BI Desktop to keep the source consistent. However you will have flexibility to add certain things using report builder as well. In short, you can simply maintian using Power BI Desktop which will support for Power BI report and Paginated Report.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution, Give Kudos to motivate the contributors.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
ponnusamy
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

@shyammayhs : Yes, you can. Just go to the dataset and click three dots , you will get an option as "Create Paginated Report". This will download an "rdl" file for you. You can edit using Report Builder and publish it as paginated reports.

ponnusamy_0-1631881384461.png

ponnusamy_1-1631881458228.png

For PDF Version:  You can actually subscribe the standard Power BI report and have it emailed as PDF attachment or export as PDF from Power BI Service with out Paginated report. However, it will only send you the screen shot of the report (Page view) and not optimized for paginated.  I would recommend you to create paginated report if you have table visuals and the data runs into several pages.

If this post helps, then please consider Accepting it as the solution, Give Kudos to motivate the contributors.

Hi @ponnusamy, thanks for your reply. If the .pbix dataset has multiple tables, measures etc. How do I approach this? because in Paginated reports, the query was loading the data as one table? is this okay to do? and how is the data model managed then?

@shyammayhs :  Please see my response below 

If the .pbix dataset has multiple tables, measures etc. How do I approach this? because in Paginated reports, the query was loading the data as one table?

You can connect to PowerBI Dataset and all the tables that are available on PowerBI dataset will be available for you in the paginated report through 'Report builder'. You can pick and choose what you want in your paginated reports.  You can also add any additional measure or columns if you want or you can simply use all the measures and column that get imported from dataset.

ponnusamy_0-1631905574056.png

If you have multiple tables in your PowerBI Dataset, all of them will be available for you (see the pic below)

ponnusamy_2-1631905802319.png

is this okay to do? and how is the data model managed then?

The data model (Dataset) can still be maintained using Power BI Desktop to keep the source consistent. However you will have flexibility to add certain things using report builder as well. In short, you can simply maintian using Power BI Desktop which will support for Power BI report and Paginated Report.

Thanks @ponnusamy I will have a look into your solution and let you know if it worked for me.

@shyammayhs : Get the latest Report builder, Microsoft has released a new version.

ponnusamy_0-1632399395030.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.