Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Uploading or saving files with a .mp4 extension is not allowed

Hi, We get the error "Uploading or saving files with .mp4 extension is not allowed. Contact your administrator if you have any quetions" when using  "Upload" in Power BI Report Server(January 2019)

We were able to upload mp4 in previous versions.

Is there a whitelist of allowed extensions in Power BI Server?

error message

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Samyuktaj
Employee
Employee

Administrators can set the following properties in SSMS Advanced Properties for the server farm:

AllowedResourceExtensionsForUpload Set extensions of resources that can be uploaded to the report server. Extensions for built-in file types like *.rdl and *.pbix are not required to be included. Default is “*, *.xml, *.xsd, *.xsl, *.png, *.gif, *.jpg, *.tif, *.jpeg, *.tiff, *.bmp, *.pdf, *.svg, *.rtf, *.txt, *.doc, *.docx, *.pps, *.ppt, *.pptx”.

See how to do this here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/tools/server-properties-advanced-page-report...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CDavies
Resolver I
Resolver I

Apologies for jumping onto an old thread but this doesn't work for me.

I'm using May 2021 Report server and have added the .mp4 to the AllowedResourceExtensionsForUpload config table, and restarted the Report server service but I get the generic "Something went wrong" error.

Looking in the RSPortal log file all I see is this error message:

ERROR|115|library|Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ItemNotFoundException: The item '/test.mp4' cannot be found.;| RequestID = s_01073cb1-d1e2-4853-a792-3c6e85e8c9c7 

(The item exists on my hard drive)  Is there another setting that needs to change to allow this?

Many thanks

Samyuktaj
Employee
Employee

Administrators can set the following properties in SSMS Advanced Properties for the server farm:

AllowedResourceExtensionsForUpload Set extensions of resources that can be uploaded to the report server. Extensions for built-in file types like *.rdl and *.pbix are not required to be included. Default is “*, *.xml, *.xsd, *.xsl, *.png, *.gif, *.jpg, *.tif, *.jpeg, *.tiff, *.bmp, *.pdf, *.svg, *.rtf, *.txt, *.doc, *.docx, *.pps, *.ppt, *.pptx”.

See how to do this here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/tools/server-properties-advanced-page-report...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.

I have added .mp4 to AllowedResourceExtensionsForUpload in the ConfigurationInfo table and it fixed the problem.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.