Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Marcin_PL
Helper I
Helper I

Uploading files with .xlsb extension is not allowed - September 2021

Hello All, @Petebro,

Today one of my users informed me that she can't upload .xlsb file on our Report Server. She uploads this report every week, so I can see that all previous versions have .xlsb extension. We upgraded to September 2021 last Sunday so it looks that this is the reason. Can I change it somehow? I tried to change AllowedResourceExtensionsForUpload parameter but without success.

Marcin_PL_1-1633977595166.png

Regards,

Marcin

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Petebro
Employee
Employee

This was changed in September release as part of hardening around files being uploaded to Power BI Report Server. I will follow up with PM team to figure out if this will be supported again in the future or continue to be blocked. In the meantime xlsx should work if the workbook is convered. I understand there are reasons for xlsb vs xlsx but this will be a workaround while we discuss the issue.

View solution in original post

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Just wanted to close the loop on this. We will provide an update to September version of PBIRS to address this. XLS XLSB and CSV have been mistakenly blocked from upload. No news on the date of this patch, but it will be addressed before the January PBI RS update.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Marcin_PL 

The latest version of Power BI Report Server - Version: 1.12.7977.29537 (Build 15.0.1107.165), Released: November 9, 2021 - has fixed some issues:

• Fixed issue blocking upload of CSV, XLS, and XLSB files.
  • Fixed security issue related to certain PBIX files.
  • Fixed issue where usernames with commas displayed oddly in new portal.
  • Fixed issue with data parameters not displaying correctly.
  • Fixed issue with download button not visible when viewing Excel workbooks.
  • Fixed issue where PBIX data sources couldn't be edited if more than one existed.
  • Fixed issue where old portal displayed "May 2021" instead of "September 2021".

Please check.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @Icey,

Just want to confirm that I've upgraded our RS and everything is fixed in the new release.

Thank you,

Marcin

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Just wanted to close the loop on this. We will provide an update to September version of PBIRS to address this. XLS XLSB and CSV have been mistakenly blocked from upload. No news on the date of this patch, but it will be addressed before the January PBI RS update.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

This was changed in September release as part of hardening around files being uploaded to Power BI Report Server. I will follow up with PM team to figure out if this will be supported again in the future or continue to be blocked. In the meantime xlsx should work if the workbook is convered. I understand there are reasons for xlsb vs xlsx but this will be a workaround while we discuss the issue.

Thanks for your quick response. I've already advised using .xlsx files instead .xlsb and asked if .xlsb is really indispensable for this particular report.

Regards,

Marcin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.