Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Upload works, but Save As fails

(moving this to the correct forum)

Hi all,

I'm quite new to Power BI and have recently set up Power BI Report Server for testing at my organization. I am finding that I am unable to save .pbix reports from Power BI Desktop (June 2017) to the report server. I get the following error message: "Can't open file or folder /. It may have been moved, renamed, or deleted."

Reading the forums it seems that there was previously an issue where users could neither upload nor save reports to the server - this is NOT the issue in my case. I am able to upload .pbix files from my desktop to the server directly, I just can't use the Save to Report Server dialog to do it. I can also open reports from the server in PBI Desktop for editing, but I am unable to save them back to the server. 

I've read through the log file and don't see any errors around the time of saving.

My only clue so far (though this may be a red herring) is that there is a slight mismatch between the report url specified in Configuration Manager and the url that appears when I try to save. The Web Portal URL that I specified is http://[server name]:80/Reports. This is exactly what I enter as the report server address when saving the report, but when it appears on the screen above the error message, another slash has been added to the end (http://[server name]:80/Reports/). That might be expected behavior, but it would at least explain why PBI is looking for a report or file called "/" in the error message. 

In any case, I'm out of ideas for troubleshooting this. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

Many thanks,

Liane

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hi Liane,

What version of Power BI Report Server are you using? If using October 2017 release then please install the Power BI Desktop for October 2017 too. I have seen the issue you listed when trying to use June 2017 Desktop with October Server release.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Liane,

I faced the same error. There is a specific version of Power BI Desktop for Report Server, the installation filename itself contains RS (PBIDesktopRS_x64.msi). Hopefully that will resolve your issue.

Good luck,

Maria

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your help, Maria! Yes, I had installed the RS version, although we're using all 32-bit apps so it was just PBIDesktopRS.msi

Best,

Liane

hi Liane,

What version of Power BI Report Server are you using? If using October 2017 release then please install the Power BI Desktop for October 2017 too. I have seen the issue you listed when trying to use June 2017 Desktop with October Server release.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahh, I was using the June 2017 PBI Desktop but the October server. Switching to the October Desktop fixed the issue. 

Thanks so much for your help! 

Liane

Same here, getting Desktop and Server on the same versions also fixed the issue. I was using June Desktop and October Server.

I'm using October 2017 but still not able to upload .pbix file on Report Server

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.