cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

Re: Upgrade existing SSRS instance to Power BI Report Server

yes it´s beneficial to stop a running instance.

We installed Power-BI side-by-side, relying on the "side-by-side" installation possible and struggled as the abos where transferred to power bi. It´s simply to push them back to the old account, but it´s important to know and this before your users will complain.

In power-Bi we have the problem now, that abos and timetables were not shown, as well that some reports show "strange" error messages. We are on the logs, but have not finished investigation.

At the moment I would suggest not to install side by side on a production system.

Best regards,

Thomas

Highlighted
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

@ThomasH when you said you installed SxS which server are you running in addition to Power BI Report Server, I assume it is SQL 2016. Also when you configured PBIRS did you use the same Report Server DB that you had for SQL 2016 or did you create a new one. Running previous release or SQL 2017 SxS with PBIRS should work with no issue the only area you might see issues is if you try to reuse existing URL reservations or try to use the same ReportServer database. Any additonal error info would also be helpful. Thanks!

Highlighted
Helper I
Helper I

@mgmeyer we installed it on the same server, but with a fresh recovered new copy of a SxS 2016 database set. This contained the full subscriptions and timetables, which were transferred to the new PIBRS database.

I disabled the service and set back the old SxS instance.

In future I will deploy it in a dev machine for testing purpose.

Best regards,

Thomas

Helpful resources

Announcements
Community Blog

Community Blog

Visit our Community Blog for articles, guides, and information created by fellow community members.

Using the Community

Using the Community

Need help with the Power BI Community? Our 'Using the Community' support articles are a great place to start.

Galleries

Galleries

Looking for inspiration on how to present your data? Need instructional videos? Check out our Galleries!

Community Summit North America

Community Summit North America

Innovate, Collaborate, Grow. The top training and networking event across the globe for Microsoft Business Applications

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors