Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

vickyd
Helper V
Helper V

Upgrade existing SSRS instance to Power BI Report Server

Has anyone upgraded their existing SSRS instance to Power BI Report Server? 

Are there any instructions anywhere on how best to do it? 

We would like to be able to have everything in our current environment with just additional ability to be able to deploy PBI Reports. 

12 REPLIES 12
nicolewells
Frequent Visitor

Hello

If you have followed this steps from the link below you can easily slove your problem. First 

As a first step towards installing and configuring Power BI Report Server, first we need to download it. You need not have a license and there is a free trial available here.

After installing the setup, start the setup and you should be presented with a screen as shown below Link! 

https://www.mssqltips.com/sqlservertip/5000/install-and-configure-power-bi-report-server-and-power-b...

I hope this will help's you for Upgrade existing SSRS instance to Power BI Report Server

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Yep this is supported, you can take a look at the following link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/reporting-services/install-windows/migrate-a-reporting-services...

The process is same for migrating to PBIRS. The main thing I would stress is to backup you catalog DB and encryption keys before starting :). Let me know if you run into any issues. Thanks

I'm trying to install Power BI RS with an existing Report Server DB.

I end up with an issue regarding Encryption Key

The report server isn’t configured properly. Contact your system administrator to resolve the issue. System administrators: The report server can’t access or use the encryption key. You might need to add the server to the scale-out group, reimport encrypted content, or delete all encrypted content and generate a new encryption key.

Before you did the upgrade did you backup your encryption keys from your previous install? If you did then all you need to do is re-import the encryption keys in configuration manager. If you didn't then you'll have to delete all encrypted content and it will require you to reenter any stored credentials you may have had on your data sources/reports.

Wouldn't configuring Power BI Report Server to use the existing Report Server Database, webservice and web portal URL do the trick?

Yes it will however you need to make sure remove the 2016 reservations first and also make sure the 2016 service is no longer running, otherwise you will get collisions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes it´s beneficial to stop a running instance.

We installed Power-BI side-by-side, relying on the "side-by-side" installation possible and struggled as the abos where transferred to power bi. It´s simply to push them back to the old account, but it´s important to know and this before your users will complain.

In power-Bi we have the problem now, that abos and timetables were not shown, as well that some reports show "strange" error messages. We are on the logs, but have not finished investigation.

At the moment I would suggest not to install side by side on a production system.

Best regards,

Thomas

@Anonymous when you said you installed SxS which server are you running in addition to Power BI Report Server, I assume it is SQL 2016. Also when you configured PBIRS did you use the same Report Server DB that you had for SQL 2016 or did you create a new one. Running previous release or SQL 2017 SxS with PBIRS should work with no issue the only area you might see issues is if you try to reuse existing URL reservations or try to use the same ReportServer database. Any additonal error info would also be helpful. Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mgmeyer we installed it on the same server, but with a fresh recovered new copy of a SxS 2016 database set. This contained the full subscriptions and timetables, which were transferred to the new PIBRS database.

I disabled the service and set back the old SxS instance.

In future I will deploy it in a dev machine for testing purpose.

Best regards,

Thomas

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it´s necessary to point out, that the old installation has to be stopped before.

We trusted in "Side-by-Side" installation is possible, but it pointed out, that all abonements had been transferred to Power BI. it´s simple to swith back to the old reporting server, but good to know, if you want to push it in production.

Unfortunately, we couldn´t point out (we migrated SSRS2016 to PBI) why abos were not visible and we had problems with the timetables as well. Some of the reports weren´t displayed or showed "strange" error messages.

We´re on the logs, but not yet finished.

While upgrading SQL Server reporting services - standalone instance to Power BI report server, do we follow the same steps as for Native node?

Yes, PowerBI Report Server is a native mode instance of Reporting Services so ugrading from a previous native mode configuration will work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.