Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Upgrade Report server to more CPU and license

Hello,

my company has the Report Server license by Power BI Premium.

As more people are working with the Report Server we want to upgrade the Report Server VM. Can I just allocate more CPUs and more RAM? Or would there be any problems with that?

Is this also allowed by the license?

Thank you and best regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Michael_Mertens
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi, 

is the question answered? Otherwise maybe this is the answer:

With Power BI Premium, the same number of virtual cores an organization provisions in the cloud can also be deployed on-premises through Power BI Report Server. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-faq

Regards

Michael

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Michael_Mertens
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi, 

is the question answered? Otherwise maybe this is the answer:

With Power BI Premium, the same number of virtual cores an organization provisions in the cloud can also be deployed on-premises through Power BI Report Server. 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-premium-faq

Regards

Michael

KBO
MVP

Hi @selimovd ,

may be this link can help you: https://www.blue-granite.com/blog/power-bi-report-server-revisited#:~:text=Unlike%20the%20Power%20BI...

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Thank you for the reply @KBO .

I'm not really sure if you read the article you sent me or if my question was asked that bad. But the article doesn't answer any of my questions.

Does anyone know if I can upgrade the VM Power BI Report Server is running on? From a technical and from a license point of view.

Hi @selimovd ,

ok may be I missunderstood the question.

You can increase the sizing of your machine like you can do with a normal SQL DB. You can set up the limit for each report to a maximum size of 2GB. 

The advantage of the premium license is at least the flexibility and the possibility to switch to the cloud at any time.

SQL Enterprise and Software Assurrance are purchased for at least 3 years and you have to commit to a number of CPU cores, no scaling possible. If you want to do this with SQL Server Enterprise, you have to license not only the VM, but the whole cluster. And that becomes expensive.

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.