Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Update RDL report using API does nothing

Using May 2021 PBIRS API

The CatalogItems PATCH API all to update a .rdl report seems to do nothing when trying to update the report. POST works fine and creates the report. PATCH to replace the report with updated contents returns 204 code but the report is not changed. The API docs say that only properties in the body that are to be changed need to be passed, so I have been passing:

{
  "@odata.type": "#Model.Report",
  "Content": "<base64-encoded report, exactly the same as works fine in the POST>"
}

This just returns a 204 and the report changed time on the server is not updated and the contents of the report are not changed.

I can delete and re-create but this changes the ID of the report and its schedules, causing more complications later.

2 REPLIES 2
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
I am not sure about whether you can use patch method to update only part of the source, as far as I know, only Post method is often used in power bi. May I ask which API docs did you read about this.

Paul Zheng

Anonymous
Not applicable

API endpoint is here:

https://app.swaggerhub.com/apis/microsoft-rs/PBIRS/2.0#/CatalogItems/UpdateCatalogItem

It says it can update only whatever is supplied in the body and the report content is part of that. Otherwise, how could one update a report without changing the ID?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.