Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

tmhalila
Resolver I
Resolver I

Update Power BI Model from the SQL Server

Hello,

Assist please, I am importing data from the SQL Server database, while the ETL team is in the progress of updating tables in the Database. From the Power BI desktop, I disabled the Autodetection of the relationship. But when a new table is added to the database I only import one table but am unsure if it comes with the relationship from the database. Can I use the "Select related Table" button? and how it works.

tmhalila_0-1655621628377.png

4 REPLIES 4
Hariharan_R
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @tmhalila 

"Select Related Tables" works when you have tables with primary key and foreign key relationships exist in the database. for example, if you have product, product category tables in db and both has product key or product category key like primary and foreign key then if you choose product table and select related tables then product category table automatically selected for you.

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

Thank you for the reply and by saying so this works similarly to the two options in Data Load even if I uncheck.

tmhalila_0-1655714948359.png

Hi @tmhalila 

Relationship within Power BI will be based on the name of the columns across tables and data type. if you have product key in both product and product category table then relationship will be created automatically if those check boxes are enables. If not then we need to manually create a relationship between the tables.

Thanks

Hari

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

My Blog :: YouTube Channel :: My Linkedin

Sorry if I am not getting to you quickly.
From my scenario, I have unchecked the two boxes in the relationship part but once I select the "Select related Table" button then the new table creates a relationship with the available tables.

Now, my question is the relation created automatically by Power BI? or is the one coming from Database Server ..... NOTE I am importing data from the SQL Server and I need the relationship from the Server not manually created in Power BI.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.