Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

wildcatstar
Helper I
Helper I

Unexpected error encontered when save report to Report Server

My Report server installed on 10.88.0.39, version is 2017.10

I can save report on the server computer,use Power BI Desktop RS.

But I cannot save report to server on another PC, IP is 10.88.0.10.

I got an error: Unexpected error encontered

001.png

And there is no error message in report server logs.

The server fire wall is shutdown. 

Who knows how can I solve this problem? Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This seems like PBI desktop doesn't support NTLM in the Save As function in your scenario. I cannot find documentation about this readily. What if you use "Upload" from the portal, view the report and choose edit in PBI Desktop, does it behave the same?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
bennyraja
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi

Add your powerbi credential in credential manager under windows credential with power BI server URL.

Capture.PNG

I think this resolve your problem.

I have resolved this issue with this way.

Thanks

BennyRaja.A

Hi @bennyraja ,

I am encountering the same issue and using the default authentication (i.e. Windows).

Can you elaborate where exactly i can do this "Add you powerbi credential in credential manager under windows credential with power BI server URL..." ?

-Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I was receiving the same whem I am trying to publish the reports from PBI destop to report server.

I have checked your solution and tried implmenting adding manage credentials,I was trying to add PBI report server login credentails but still it says credential manage error.

Do we have anything more to consider here.

Thanks,

Anvesh

@bennyraja : perfect, it solves my problem !

Thanks,

Michaël

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks a lot. It resolved my issue.

Regards

SaiKrishna.M

Your solution works!!

I find it's a common issue when your PBI Desktop client PC is out of the server's AD domain.

And I think it is a product bug, since when you use Mobile Report Publisher or Report Builder, you will have a crendential popup window, however, PBI Desktop missed this feature.

pbx
Helper V
Helper V

Maybe this other PC is blocking port 9999 outbound?

Thanks,pbx But the fire wall on Client and Server are both closed.

Are you using the same user when tried from the server and the PC?

No. Infact I didn't login when I use Power BI desktop, Because all of PC just in a LAN.

But what kind of authentication are you using? How are you managing user permissions on the server?

I use windows account by default.

On the client PC, When I use browser visiting the server,a Login Window will pop up.And after login everything goes well.

But when I use Power BI Desktop to save report, no login window pop up and just say Unexpected error.

This seems like PBI desktop doesn't support NTLM in the Save As function in your scenario. I cannot find documentation about this readily. What if you use "Upload" from the portal, view the report and choose edit in PBI Desktop, does it behave the same?

If you are runnin PBI Desktop locally, it may also be due to the LSA security - just add BackConnectionHostNames registry entry. 

Yes you're right.
I can upload the pbix file from portal after login.
Thank you.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.