Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

joostdeheer

Unable to upgrade January 2021 to May 2021 report server

Hello,

I have a strange problem.

We have three PBIRS environments: Development, Acceptance and Production. Last week I upgraded the development version from the January 2021 to the May 2021 release without problems. Today I wanted to upgrade the acceptance environment, but the Upgrade option isn't available when running the installer, only the Install option. I ran the installer for the January 2021 version, and it correctly sees that it's installed. Previous upgrades (all the way to begin 2019) have ran without problems before.

Things I've tried:

* Reboot the server

* Run the installer with or without admin mode

* Run the Jan. 2021 installer, it sees that it's installed. So I've tried a 'repair'.

None of these options solved the problem. Anyone has an idea where I should start looking for a solution?

Joost

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
joostdeheer

Problem found and detected. I found out there's an installation file in C:\Users\myaccount\AppData\Local\Temp\PBIRS

In that file, I found a reference to a missing file in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache. Recently, the data from that directory was moved to a different drive and a junction point was created in C:\ProgramData, but something/-one overwrote that junction point, so the installer couldn't access the package cache anymore. I moved the missing directory to C: and the upgrade continued as normal.

Joost

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
joostdeheer

Problem found and detected. I found out there's an installation file in C:\Users\myaccount\AppData\Local\Temp\PBIRS

In that file, I found a reference to a missing file in C:\ProgramData\Package Cache. Recently, the data from that directory was moved to a different drive and a junction point was created in C:\ProgramData, but something/-one overwrote that junction point, so the installer couldn't access the package cache anymore. I moved the missing directory to C: and the upgrade continued as normal.

Joost

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.