Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to save description for PBI report in server

After saving the Power BI report to server using the PBI Desktop, I tried to add a description to it by clicling on Manage and Properties. I add the description in the box and then when I click on Apply, I get an error box "Could not save changes. Something went wrong. Please try again later.".

I have restarted the service with no luck. Anyone with the same problem? We're running the June 2017 release. It happens only with PBI reports, when saving changes to paginated reports there is no problem.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

We just published the latest October GA release, can you try updating to the latest to see if that resolves your issue:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-version-of-power-bi-report-server-now-available/

Matt M.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

We just published the latest October GA release, can you try updating to the latest to see if that resolves your issue:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/new-version-of-power-bi-report-server-now-available/

Matt M.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I just upgraded our test server to the new release and it's now saving the changes. Thank you.

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

I just tried this with the latest June release and didn't see the error. Can you check the RSPowerBI log in the installation Log folder and let me know if there are any errors in there? Also if your using chrome can you open the dev tools and see if there is an error shown in the console? Thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, submerged in small support tasks here eating all of my time.

This is what the log says:

2017-11-03 11:46:51.6262|ERROR|253|Failure in reportproperties| RequestID = s_15982c14-37f1-43f2-8d90-b43e977164fc System.IO.FileFormatException: Archive file cannot be size 0.
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Packaging.PowerBIPackager.Open(Stream storageStream, Boolean& requiresConversionToReportLayout, Byte[]& securityBindings, Boolean skipValidation)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebApi.PBIX.PbixShredder.<Shred>d__2.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebApi.PbiApi.PbiApiController.<GetReportProperties>d__1d.MoveNext()
2017-11-03 11:46:51.6262|ERROR|253|Unhandled error in the Web API|POST http://localhost/powerbi/api/reportproperties - Response Unknown| RequestID = s_15982c14-37f1-43f2-8d90-b43e977164fc System.IO.FileFormatException: Archive file cannot be size 0.
   at MS.Internal.IO.Zip.ZipArchive.OpenOnStream(Stream stream, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.ZipPackage..ctor(Stream s, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Boolean streaming)
   at System.IO.Packaging.Package.Open(Stream stream, FileMode packageMode, FileAccess packageAccess, Boolean streaming)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Packaging.PowerBIPackager.Open(Stream storageStream, Boolean& requiresConversionToReportLayout, Byte[]& securityBindings, Boolean skipValidation)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebApi.PBIX.PbixShredder.<Shred>d__2.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.ReportServer.WebApi.PbiApi.PbiApiController.<GetReportProperties>d__1d.MoveNext()
   at System.Threading.Tasks.TaskHelpersExtensions.<CastToObject>d__3`1.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ApiControllerActionInvoker.<InvokeActionAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<CallOnActionExecutedAsync>d__5.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Filters.ActionFilterAttribute.<ExecuteActionFilterAsyncCore>d__0.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ActionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__2.MoveNext()
   at System.Web.Http.Controllers.ExceptionFilterResult.<ExecuteAsync>d__0.MoveNext()
2017-11-03 11:46:51.6262|INFO|379|Sending response. Response code NT SERVICE\PowerBIReportServer 500, Elapsed time 0:00:00.0051279| RequestID = s_15982c14-37f1-43f2-8d90-b43e977164fc

In Chrome dev tools I get a "500 (Internal Server Error)"

Thanks for your help.

Based on that exception it looks like the file may have gotten corrupted is says it is 0 bytes.

1. Are you seeing this error for all PBI reports or just this one?

2. Can you try deleting it and republishing it and see if that makes the error go away?

3. Also were you able to upgrade to the Oct. GA release to see if that resolved the issue?

4. Are you able to render the report in the Portal?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I'm seeing this in all PBI reports. We have 2 servers (test and prod) and I have same error in both servers with reports linked to different cubes. I did try deleting and republishing the reports but still couldn't save changes. The reports render properly in the portal and I did a work around:

update the description field directly in the Report Server catalog table.

I am planning to upgrade to the new version soon and I will update you on this.

Many thanks for your attention.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.