Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

giwi
Frequent Visitor

Unable to connect to Analysis Service with kerberos

Hi
i want to run pbi reports on a PBIRS (Jan 2020). The data is stored on an AS Server (other machine)
the report was generated with powerbi desktop (Jän 2020) and works fine. when i run the report on report Server, i got the error message:
We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string correctly.

In Logfile i see:
2020-04-02 14:30:02.9154|ERROR|39|Failure in conceptualschema| RequestID = 4c97d902-514b-46ca-e0fb-xxxxxxxxxxxx ClientSessionID = 043e773b-e847-821a-79c1-xxxxxxxxxxxx Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.CannotRetrieveModelException: An error occurred while loading the model for the item or data source 'xxxxxxxx'. Verify that the connection information is correct and that you have permissions to access the data source. ---> Microsoft.PowerBI.DataExtension.Contracts.DataExtensionException: Failed to open the MSOLAP connection. ---> MsolapWrapper.MsolapWrapperException: Could not initialize connection

the powerbi report server is new. so for authentication i followed these instruction:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports

Report Server runs with AD Service Account, SPNs are set (http/hostname on serviceaccount + fqdn) and activated trust for delegation
AS Server runs with local acocunt (NT Service\MSSQLServerOLAPService), SPNs (MSOLAPSvc.3,MSOLAPDisco.3 are set on Servername + fqdn)

When i set username+password in Report>Manage>Data sources > Windows Authentication + "Using the following credentials", the report works fine.

I think the SPNs, Trust for delegation, etc. are correct. Reports that get data from sql Server on the AS-Machine works fine.
Does anyone have an idea what could be missing?

Thanks for answer
best regards
Wilfried

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
giwi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have found the cause. The SPNs from the service account were set incorrectly. After correct them, the authentication works fine.

best regards
Wilfried

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
giwi
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I have found the cause. The SPNs from the service account were set incorrectly. After correct them, the authentication works fine.

best regards
Wilfried

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.