Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

saket_mca1
Frequent Visitor

Unable to Connect Power BI Report Server through Desktop tool

Error_Message.png

Hi,

Recently we install Power BI Report Server and Power BI Desktop RS tool on individual machines. We tried to save Desktop report  on Power BI Report server using option (Save As -> Power BI Report Server). Since this was the first time we tried to save report on Report server it prompted for Server URL and then click 'Ok'. But it shows one line error message 'Server is not reachable'. 

When I tried to use same URL on Browser it worked fine. I tried to look for some fix but didn't get any help.

Please let me know if any face the issue in past.

Regards

Saket

8 REPLIES 8
bennyraja
Advocate I
Advocate I

Hi

Add your powerbi credential in credential manager under windows credential with power BI server URL.

Capture.PNG

I think this resolve your problem.

I have resolved this issue with this way.

Thanks

BennyRaja.A

JackSprat
Helper I
Helper I

I am having the same issue trying to save to the August 2017 PBIRS using the august 2017 PB desktop app.  I get

pbsaverror.png

If I use the 'Upload' button inside the PBIRS web page, I get this error when it tries to load data.

Something went wrong

Unable to load the model
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Request ID2de10e94-cd3f-a5eb-5423-f1ff3c661a43
TimeWed Aug 30 2017 10:43:14 GMT-0700 (US Mountain Standard Time)
Version14.0.600.379

This was due to our changing the default service account that runs the PBI server.  When we reverted to the default, this issue went away.

Anonymous
Not applicable

hi JackSprat,

I'm facing the same issue..can u please explain me the solution you mentioned below:

changing the default service account that runs the PBI server in the sense in sql server configuration manager for sql server(pbi server) we need to change the login to default ?? please help..

thanx in advance..

I upgraded to the latest version and that problem was no longer happening.  I beleive they have a newer one out now also.

JackSprat
Helper I
Helper I

Having the same issue.  My error is "Unexpected error encountered", when trying to save a Power BI report from the August 2017 Power Bi Desktop app to the August 2017 Power Bi Server.

I am using a direct query report, which can be uploaded successfuly (basically pulled in rather than pushed in), but then I have data connection issues to the Direct Query SQL server, which is also a cryptic error.

Something went wrong
 Unable to load the model
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.
Request ID2de10e94-cd3f-a5eb-5423-f1ff3c661a43
TimeWed Aug 30 2017 10:43:14 GMT-0700 (US Mountain Standard Time)
Version14.0.600.379

Jbielenberg42

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I am experiencing the exact same problem as Saket, where my report that I would like to host is on one machine, and the report server is on a seperate machine. However, when I tried your proposed solution, the browser says the server refused to connect. Do you have any other solutions to allow me connect my report to the server?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @saket_mca1,

In your scenario, please go to the machine which hosts Power BI desktop for report server. Then open the browser, type the web portal URL http://<servername>/reports to see if you can access it.

If you can access web portal from the machine hosts Power BI desktop for report server, please try to upload the Power BI report via Upload button.

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.