Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

a4peterson
Frequent Visitor

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation

Today, all our Power BI reports, the ones created with PBI Desktop stopped working.  Both direct query, and those with an import.
The error message for one of the Import reports was:  [0] -1055784932: Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

The immediate, while unelegant solution was to stop, and then restart the Power BI Report Server service. 

As to why the problem existed? No idea. The paginated reports created with Report Builder still worked.  It was just the Power BI Desktop created reports.

I addition to not allowing any PBI reports to work, we could not add any new ones.  All very strange.

We are running the current version:  Power BI Report Server Version 1.8.7468.41510 (May 2020)

logs:

Looking at the log:  RSHostingService_2020_08_31_00_00_06.log

We did find several entries similar to the following:

2020-08-31 00:00:06.2551|INFO|70|Deleting expired log file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles\RSPortal_2020_08_11_00_25_35.log Last written: 8/11/2020 12:25:35 AM
2020-08-31 00:00:06.2551|WARN|70|Exception deleting expired log fileSystem.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles\RSPortal_2020_08_11_00_25_35.log' because it is being used by another process.
at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
at System.IO.File.InternalDelete(String path, Boolean checkHost)
at Microsoft.BIServer.HostingEnvironment.Logger.DeleteExpiredFilesInternal(Int32 keepUntilDays, FileInfo[] logFiles)

Not sure if this error is part of the problem, but stopping and restarting the PBIRS solved the problem.

If anyone has insight into what caused the problem, and if there are any adjustments that can be made please advise.

2 REPLIES 2
FarhanAhmed
Community Champion
Community Champion

I am not sure if this related to your problem but those error usually occurs

- PBIRS creates a analysis service on the server that hosts your reports data.

- All import data host on that instance.

- If there is a disk space issue or any event that causes Analysis service to get halt it gives "timeout" errors and you cannot refresh or host any new report on that server unless this service works fine again (restart or PBIRS) that happens in your case.

- You can check your Event Viewer to see why this analysis service stopped and take actions accordingly.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos!!

Proud to be a Super User!

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@a4peterson - Looks like something was holding the log file open. You could check the Issues forum here:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/idb-p/Issues

And if it is not there, then you could post it.

If you have Pro account you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.