Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

andreassundstro
Frequent Visitor

There is no data in the database for @catalogitemid

We have a recurring problem with the PowerBI report server (on premise). Randomly at times schedueled reports fail to reload for no reason. The error message in the logs just say "There is no data in the database for @catalogitemid=" and a guid of the given report, but give no further information. The error is always resolved by manually restarting the job. After reading similar errors we have tried the following:

• Upgrading to the latest version of PowerBI report server and PowerBI desktop for RS, currently Jan 2021
  • Deleting and reuploading the report from latest PowerBI desktop for report server version
  • Changing the scheduels to not overlap, this was marked as a fix in similar error, I would regard this as more of a workaround but still it doesn not resolve our problem

Any help would be much appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@andreassundstro 

Currently, there is no fix found for this issue. I guess the workaround you mentioned is this post: Solved: Scheduled Refresh error "There is no data in the d... - Microsoft Power BI Community

I will keep follow this issue and get back to you any new updates. And I would like to share another workaround provided by pbirs team:

ROOT CAUSE 

=========== 

Change to GetCatalogExtendedContentData stored procedure via fix in May 2020 

ICM 179612428 

User Story 324871: Incident 179612428 : CSS – PBIRS/PBIX Reports display a blank page when executed during the SaveToCatalog Step during Schedule/OnDemand Refresh (3/13) 

WORKAROUND 

============= 

To revert back to the previous version of the GetCatalogExtendedContentData stored procedure, you can replace this: 

    SELECT 

        DATALENGTH([Content]) AS ContentLength, 

        [Content] 

    FROM 

        [CatalogItemExtendedContent] WITH (NOWAIT) -- DevNote: Using NOWAIT here because for large models the row might be locked for long durations. Fail fast and let the client retry. 

    WHERE 

        [ItemID] = @CatalogItemID AND ContentType = @ContentType 

With this: 

        SELECT 

        [Content] 

    FROM 

        --[CatalogItemExtendedContent] WITH (NOWAIT) -- DevNote: Using NOWAIT here because for large models the row might be locked for long durations. Fail fast and let the client retry. 

        [CatalogItemExtendedContent] WITH (READPAST) -- Pre-May 2020 code 

    WHERE 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

@andreassundstro @V-pazhen-msft We deployed this change Friday evening and our weekend report refreshes ran with absolutely no issues at all - each schedule has a number of reports attached and every single one ran successfully. I'd call this fix confirmed in the field - now the team just needs to revert this code in the official release!

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
datamvt
Frequent Visitor

Hello,

What is Microsoft's position on this regression?

When will it be fixed?
Has a case been opened ?

I have the issue on PBIRS Sept. 2021 version.

I haven't seen any details about this issue in more recent releases and we're still running the fix here without any issues - we deployed it last June and haven't seen this error (or anything new) since doing that. We're still using the January 2021 release though and haven't updated to May or September, so I can't speak to any newer releases resolving this issue, though.

ok, thanks for your answer.
I don't want to modify the stored procedure.
I would prefer Microsoft to do a patch.

rwmnau
Helper I
Helper I

With the May 2021 release out, has anybody with this issue updated and can confirm if it is resolved or if it continues? We're still having this issue and it's causing additional work each week to manually refresh reports - I'd love to update but don't want to cause more issues if it doesn't even resolve this one. Thanks!

rwmnau
Helper I
Helper I

Has there been anything further on this that you've heard? We're having this issue with a handful of our reports that are set to run at the same time overnight as well - it's intermittent, but common enough that it's causing a problem.

Actually we updated to a newer patch/build version of report server, since then we haven't had the problem (although a few others hav emerged).

By "newer build", what version are you using that doesn't have this issue? We're currently using the original Jan 2021 release (1.10.7698.27886), though it looks like there's a newer release from March (1.10.7737.32652). If this version resolves the issue, then we'll look to patch.

Yes we installed the 1.10.7737.32652 release. Although we still at times have this problem ocur, it seems to be less frequent... 

I wonder if that's just coincidental since it's still an issue. I'm not sure if they're planning to revert this in the next release, but I think we're going to go ahead with the manual patch of that SP as this is causing us some major issues in trying to refresh our reports on shared schedules. We're even having the major schedules appear not to run at all, which I suspect is related to this.

Unfortunatly I think you're right, the issue has starten ocuring morr frequently. If you do patch, please let me know the result. 

When looking at the change in code I cant see how changing NOWAIT to NOLOCK would change anything. But please let me know!

Andreas

@andreassundstro @V-pazhen-msft We deployed this change Friday evening and our weekend report refreshes ran with absolutely no issues at all - each schedule has a number of reports attached and every single one ran successfully. I'd call this fix confirmed in the field - now the team just needs to revert this code in the official release!

@rwmnau  Has this been working okay during the week? 

Perfectly, haven't seen this error a single time since we deployed the change, either through automated refresh schedules or from us manually refresing a number of reports at once (which both would have caused it before).

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@andreassundstro 

Currently, there is no fix found for this issue. I guess the workaround you mentioned is this post: Solved: Scheduled Refresh error "There is no data in the d... - Microsoft Power BI Community

I will keep follow this issue and get back to you any new updates. And I would like to share another workaround provided by pbirs team:

ROOT CAUSE 

=========== 

Change to GetCatalogExtendedContentData stored procedure via fix in May 2020 

ICM 179612428 

User Story 324871: Incident 179612428 : CSS – PBIRS/PBIX Reports display a blank page when executed during the SaveToCatalog Step during Schedule/OnDemand Refresh (3/13) 

WORKAROUND 

============= 

To revert back to the previous version of the GetCatalogExtendedContentData stored procedure, you can replace this: 

    SELECT 

        [Content] 

    FROM 

        [CatalogItemExtendedContent] WITH (NOWAIT) -- DevNote: Using NOWAIT here because for large models the row might be locked for long durations. Fail fast and let the client retry. 

    WHERE 

With this: 

        SELECT 

        [Content] 

    FROM 

        --[CatalogItemExtendedContent] WITH (NOWAIT) -- DevNote: Using NOWAIT here because for large models the row might be locked for long durations. Fail fast and let the client retry. 

        [CatalogItemExtendedContent] WITH (READPAST) -- Pre-May 2020 code 

    WHERE 

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks V-pazhen. Is it recommended to rollback to previous version of GetCatalogExtendedContentData? Or will it still cause the report to not load correctly?

FWIW, I deployed this change exactly as shown here and it resolved the error with no side effects that we've seen so far.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.