Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

gesgin
Helper I
Helper I

The credentials provided for the SQL source are invalid

Hi,

We have a test PBI Server and we're successfully saving our reports into the related report server url. There's a consulting firm that works with our company and they need to save some reports to that test server url.

They connect to a client machine in our domain with a user which has access. They develop PBI reports on that client machine and trying to save these reports to our test PBI reports. That client machine has network access to the test PBI server.

I've added the user, that they are using, in security tab of report server url. They can see the contents in related folder of report server url. But when they try to save the report to that url, they are getting the error below;

2018-07-25 14:00:09.2770|ERROR|142|Error Processing Data Model Refresh: SessionId: 717320c8-0edf-4f7d-a733-595bc91eef3e, Status: Error Failed Data Refresh, Exception Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'The credentials provided for the SQL source are invalid. (Source at TestServerIP;db_name.). The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

Normally, for the users who want to save report to that test PBI server, we did not give any db permission and all of them can successfully save the reports. We've given db permission for that user, but they are getting the same error.

Anybody has an idea what's the problem?

2 REPLIES 2
jcollinson2001
Resolver IV
Resolver IV

It looks like a scheduled refresh has been setup (to keep the data within the report up to date), and when the refresh plan runs Report Server can't connect to the dats source. You need to configure the authentication for the data source(s) that are used in their report.

Click the ellipsis on the report tile (that you see in the Report Server portal) and go to Manage. Then go to data sources. For each data source which they've used, you need to configure the authentication correctly. You have a choice of either using:

• Integrated authentication (e.g. where the end users credentials are passed across to the data source), however you need to of configured Kereberos authentication on your network first.
  • Dedicated user account
    • Using a Windows account
    • Using a SQL Server login

Thank you for your answer @jcollinson2001

But these guys could not save any report to the server, so there's no report or data source in related folder that I can see in the portal. Meanwhile, the database that they are using is different from ours.

The db name I've mentioned in first message is the one that exists in PBI Test Server and nobody uses a table from that db in their reports.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.