Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Deronhess
Frequent Visitor

The Time Zone Struggle is Real...

I have a report that I have written that simply counts the sales for today. The issue that I am having is that this report is using Power BI Report Server local (Eastern Time Zone) and a SQL Server in the same server rack set for the same Eastern Time Zone. The Total Orders is being calculated by "Total Orders = COUNT(SO_SalesOrderDetail[SalesOrderNo]) +0".

The issue is that everyday at 7:00PM EST the Total Orders resets to 0 as if a new day. I am sure that this has to do with UTC but I have nothing set for UTC. Both the Report Server and the SQL server are set to EST. I was hoping that the use of Report Server would just use the time zone of the server, but apparently it is using UTC as well and I am missing out on 5 hours of sales reporting everyday.

Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Deronhess
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Greg_Deckler, I have seen that. The issue is that I do not have any time functions outside of a filter saying that the Order_Date is in this day. The issue is that something is using UTC as the base time/date and I am not sure why this would be the case using Report Server. I understand that using the cloud based version does that, but with local PBIRS and SQL Server I would think that it would just be using the server time zone.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Deronhess - Have you checked this thread? Convert UTC to local time zone in DAX - Microsoft Power BI Community

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.