Hi All -
We are testing RLS implemented in SSAS tabular model by accessing the model from a Power BI Report deployed in PBI Report Server.
DB, SSAS and Report server are configured in the same machine which is in the domain, however the users which we are using are local users in the sytem and not domain users. This is temporary set up which we are using to validate the RLS implementation by logging in to the server. The Power BI report is published in the Report server with Data Source credentials set to "As the user viewing the report"
In this case we see that the RLS is not working as expected. There are two local users, user1 is an SSAS administrator user and hence he can see all the data for this user.
However for user2 (which is not an SSAS administrator) we are observing the following,
1) Displays all data in the report published in report server instead of user specific data. (Note: For a particular measure if we filter the data based on the user name then this value is coming properly)
2) Displays only user specific data when the model is connected from excel (by logging in to system with user2)
3) Displays only user specific data when the report is viewed from Power BI desktop (by logging in to sytem with user2)
4) Not able to browse the cube from SSMS using user2 (logged in to system -> connected to ssas using user1 and using the other user option)
5) Not able to analyze in excel from visual studio by using user2 (logged in using user1)
We are not able to ascertain the reason for the above behavior, is this due to the use of non-domain users or whether due to PBI RS limitation.
Ideally we understand that this needs to be tested with domain users and requires kerberos authentication to be available in the PBI RS environment.
I'm going to guess either RS limitation but it could be some kind of Kerberos issue, so not much help, but I am interested in the answer to this.
Proud to be a Datanaut!
Like you the roles get picked up in Excel and in SSRS but not Power BI. I think that this is a bug.