Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

leearls
Regular Visitor

Table name too long

We're creating naming conventions for a schema to use for various tools, and are running against Table Name too Long errors when using Power BI Desktop Report Server (January 2019).  I have not found documentation that shows the limitations of either Table Name or Column Name length for Power BI Report Server (or service).  Can someone help us find this?  We don't want to use illegal characters either.

Tried Direct Query and Import on a table name of 128 characters that is not failing using other tools. 

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY090] [Microsoft][ODBC] (11400) Table name too long.
Details:
DataSourceKind=Netezza
DataSourcePath=edwprd.carilion.com;EDW_PRD
OdbcErrors=Table

Thank you for any help you can provide.  We need to document the requirements, and I am not finding on any MS whitepapers.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Seems like a very basic question...   I'm starting to think PowerBI is really just a toy.  There's so many issues and what little help that's out there is so technical it's almost like a bunch of jargon posted to look like a response but only addresses the problem if you're a top level programmer...  in which case you wouldn't need the assistance anyway.  And what's up with DAX???   Why not just use the Excel formulas so we can copy/paste?  There's nowhere near the support for PowerBI

@leearls wrote:

We're creating naming conventions for a schema to use for various tools, and are running against Table Name too Long errors when using Power BI Desktop Report Server (January 2019).  I have not found documentation that shows the limitations of either Table Name or Column Name length for Power BI Report Server (or service).  Can someone help us find this?  We don't want to use illegal characters either.

Tried Direct Query and Import on a table name of 128 characters that is not failing using other tools. 

DataSource.Error: ODBC: ERROR [HY090] [Microsoft][ODBC] (11400) Table name too long.
Details:
DataSourceKind=Netezza
DataSourcePath=edwprd.carilion.com;EDW_PRD
OdbcErrors=Table

Thank you for any help you can provide.  We need to document the requirements, and I am not finding on any MS whitepapers.

that's out there for Spotfire.  Quote

bradsy
Employee
Employee

Thank you for your reply.  We are testing the already created table name and columns in Netezza and realize this is the limitation there.  My question is what is the Power BI limitation so that I can't use the table as a data source from Power BI?  Our other tools allow it (SAP for example). 

We are trying to determine the lowest number of characters allowed, illegal characters, etc. so we don't face problems later on.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.