Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Crush

Something Went Wrong when opening report PBIRS

We have SQL Server 2019. Works great.

We have PBIRS installed. Works great.

We have reports uploaded to server. Works great. 

I recieved a new architectural requirement today that requires us to shut off port 80 and 443 to the SQL server. 

We have an app server.

PBIRS was installed on this app server.

Configuration was run error-free on the app server. It points to the SQL server.

We can browse the reports with no problem via /Reports URL. We can see them at the /ReportServer URL as well.

However, if we click on any report, it throws the generic "Something went wrong." error, which I know is generic, and usually for configuration errors.

I spent 8 hours on forums and blogs and reviewing logs, and I have not yet been able to figure this out.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

It was a firewall issue we believe. 24 hours after posting this, and complaining to the platform team about it, the error magically went away. The platform team never reported back what they did, sadly. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
MahmutDemir

Hello,

I get  "something went wrong. Please Try again Later" message, in powerbi report server,

I think , I removed http url from Web Portal URL and Web Service URL in Report Server Confgiuration Manager, then I started getting an error.

can you help me, please ?

dar100111
Frequent Visitor

This error has really giving me fits lately.  Here's what i think is going on after diving into the logs.  The query plan is getting cached.  When a user updates a dataset on our pbix files, that was not there previously, i see this error.  I have a Power BI Server to manage with about 80 dashboards on there that developers are hosting on.  They have refreshes set up to pull data on over half of them.  I noticed when i updated a pbix with a new dataset, and i checked the logs, it doesn't reference the dataset in the log file, but all the other ones were in there that were in the version just before the save.  Only way i've found to actually fix the problem consistently is to keep saving over it, or delete it, re-create and add a new schedule (very painful and dangerous).  I let it sit there over night.  Still same error.  This dataset was refreshing every 30 minutes.  When I saved the same exact copy again this morning, problem went away.  Really hard to deal with and diagnose the actual problem because the RequestId reference does show up, but it doesn't log any problems, it just shows what ran, which doesn't contain the new datasets all the time.  Hit or miss.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

The first place to check would be the log files. These will be found on the PBIRS server and are usually located at

c:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles

If you are running SSRS (.rdl) reports check the most recent ReportingServicesService_*.log file.

If you are running Power BI (.pbix) reports check the most recent RSPowerBI_*.log file.

Hopefully one of these logs will have more information which you could either use to help fix this issue or post back here if you can't make sense of it.

If these are rdl reports and you are using windows credentials have you configured Kerberos? (if you have moved from 1 server to 2 this is one of the key changes you would need to make for window auth to work)

It was a firewall issue we believe. 24 hours after posting this, and complaining to the platform team about it, the error magically went away. The platform team never reported back what they did, sadly. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.