Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

jeggert
Frequent Visitor

Something Went Wrong when Subscribe in PBIRS (August)

I upgraded to the PBI Report Server (August) preview today, and it works great, including support for the new

table visuals (after I found out that I need to clear browser cache).  But, my problem now is that

Subscriptions and Schedules are not functioning.
If I go Site Settings > Schedules, I get "An error occurred within the report server database..."
If I go to a report  tile > ... > Subscribe, I get "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

If I remove all parameters in the report, then the subscription page will load and create without "Something went wrong."
I was able to do regular subscriptions and data-driven subscriptions with the June RS release, but I'm

completely DOA with subscriptions in this August release.
Anyone else having trouble with Subscriptions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi J - you are correct, there was an issue identified when managing and editing subscriptions through the web portal. The subscriptions are created and running. The issue has been addressed and will be corrected in the coming production release of PBIRS. 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Petebro
Employee
Employee

Hi,

Apologies on this regression. It looks to be a side effect of a change in some underlying dependencies we updated in October release that are used by Power BI Report Server APIs. We have this fixed internally and will be released as part of the next release planned for this month.

-Pete

cascador84
Helper I
Helper I

Hi all,

with October 2020 release version of Power BI Report Server, we encountered the same issue when editing / updating data driven subscriptions. Subscriptions seems working, but some of parameters are not correctly set since we update the associated datasources.
It occurs for all data driven subcription, despite using date format on parameter or not.

I try a very simple  report, create a normal subscription :  works fine. A DDS is correctly created / running, but when trying to update, "Something Went wrong" error message occurs.
On the log, the only information I have is:

Received request POST /api/v2.0/DataSources/Model.GetQueryFields| RequestID = s_d6554622-c465-49c0-bc2a-f88c2b609da2
2021-01-26 16:45:23.1595|WARN|74|BadRequest, Errors: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item| RequestID = s_d6554622-c465-49c0-bc2a-f88c2b609da2

Or

Received request GET /api/v2.0/Extensions('Report%20Server%20Email')/Parameters| RequestID = s_07deb889-8619-4820-8797-1846dc57e4da
2021-01-26 08:50:34.8337|WARN|29|BadRequest, Errors: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: item| RequestID = s_9267d11c-e0c9-4ad1-a9f0-666c0a731472 

of course nothing on report / parameter have a "item" name.

Any idea ?

regards,

mgmeyer
Power BI Team
Power BI Team

Thanks for reporting this can you take a look at the ReportingServicesServiceXXXX.log and RSPortalXXXX.log in the following folder and let me know if there are any errors being reported:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Report Server\PBIRS\LogFiles

Thanks!

Matt M.

hi jeggert,

We are able to repro the second issue, 'report  tile > ... > Subscribe, I get "Something went wrong. Please try again later."' We will fix this soon and will be available in next upcoming release. For the issue with Site Settings / Schedules not working, we are not able to repro the bug. Can you please share logs from paths Matt mentioned?

TIA!

Rohit

jeggert
Frequent Visitor

I upgraded to the PBI Report Server (August) preview today, and it works great, including support for the new

table visuals (after I found out that I need to clear browser cache).  But, my problem now is that

Subscriptions and Schedules are not functioning.
If I go Site Settings > Schedules, I get "An error occurred within the report server database..."
If I go to a report  tile > ... > Subscribe, I get "Something went wrong. Please try again later."

If I remove all of the parameters from the report, then I can Subscribe without error.
I was able to do regular subscriptions and data-driven subscriptions with the June RS release, but I'm

completely DOA with subscriptions in this August release.
Anyone else having trouble with Subscriptions?

Hi J - you are correct, there was an issue identified when managing and editing subscriptions through the web portal. The subscriptions are created and running. The issue has been addressed and will be corrected in the coming production release of PBIRS. 

Hi. I've just performed a migration of an existing SSRS instance and I am having the same issue with the schedules and subscriptions. I have a couple of questions for the team.

1. When will the fix be out?

2. Can I perform an upgrade on top of the existing August preview version?

3. I'd like the ability to modify the names of the colums in matrix and tables for PowerBI reports. This was added in the cloud version of Power BI but is missing from the new desktop Power BI Server edition. Is there going to be some feature parity with the cloud version at some point? I feel that this is an important feature.

3. When will the SQL Server database engine be supported as a source. Right now only SSAS Tabular is supported...

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am using the October release but still the problem of something went wrong persists. Is the issue fixed ? Does thre exist a workaround? 

Thanks

hi Yogesh, please open a new issue thread rather than re-use this existing closed thread.

Thank you for the responses and the acknowledgement of the bug.

I can no longer reproduce the Schedules problem that I was having last week.  I've since uninstalled, reset configuration settings, created new database, etc. The "Subscribe" problem still persists (as you've acknowleged) but the "Schedules" problem has disappeared. 

Regards,

- Justin 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.