Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dagurkuden
Frequent Visitor

Some dax functions does not work on PBRS

Hi all;

Some functions does not work  like dateadd,totalmtd,totalytd etc.  in direct query mode

And I  wanna say everthing works at Power BI Desktop RS .The problem starts when I published  to the Power BI Report Server.

Also marked "Allow unrestricted measures in Direct query mode"

Im getting

MdxScript(Model) (19, 33) Function 'DATESMTD' is not supported in DirectQuery mode. 

MdxScript(Model) (13, 4) Function 'DATEADD' is not supported in DirectQuery mode.   etc.

errors.

Which dax functions are working on Power BI Report Server?Is there any list of them?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @dagurkuden,

I got information that unfortunately we do not have any information on road map to consider near future. I would request to create comment on forum https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi , So that product team will consider the same based on priority and requirement.

Regarding the error, please double check if the Allow unrestricted measures in Direct query mode option is enabled. Also as the Values() function return in a column of unique values, please modify the measure like below: 

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Product'[Amount]),FILTER(ALL('DateVal'),'DateVal'[DateCol] in VALUES(DateVal[DateCol])))

or

Measure 2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Product'[Amount]),ALL(DateVal),VALUES(DateVal[DateCol]))

As I tested, it can work fine both in desktop and report server. 

q1.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dagurkuden,

DAX we are using are not supported(Dateadd, DATESYTD), below are list of DAX functions suppots in Direct query mode.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/analysis-services/tabular-models/dax-formula-compatibility-in-d...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/desktop-directquery-about#implications-of-using-directquer...

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

hi @v-qiuyu-msft

I did not try all but The "Filter " is listed but not working.

How can I be sure the list?Can you say something about a time intelligence function and others or can you give an information about road map ?

Most of our customers were using Power BI cloud  ,now they are returning to on prem.We can not explain to them that some functions does not work at power bi report server.

Thank you.

Hi @dagurkuden,

As you can see from the document, the Filter() function is supported in the measure. Based on my test in Power BI desktop optimized for report server 2.51.4885.1423 64-bit (October 2017), create a measure like this: Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Product'[Amount]),FILTER(ALL('Product'),'Product'[Product]="Car"))

After publish the report to report server version 14.0.600.437, the measure still work. Please update your report server version and test again with a measure. 

Regarding the time intelligence functions, I will consult it internally then back update here if I get information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

hi @v-qiuyu-msft

You are right that filter function is working.

But when I associated this with a bit of time data, I am getting this error

Filter.PNG

Hi @dagurkuden,

I got information that unfortunately we do not have any information on road map to consider near future. I would request to create comment on forum https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi , So that product team will consider the same based on priority and requirement.

Regarding the error, please double check if the Allow unrestricted measures in Direct query mode option is enabled. Also as the Values() function return in a column of unique values, please modify the measure like below: 

Measure = CALCULATE(SUM('Product'[Amount]),FILTER(ALL('DateVal'),'DateVal'[DateCol] in VALUES(DateVal[DateCol])))

or

Measure 2 = CALCULATE(SUM('Product'[Amount]),ALL(DateVal),VALUES(DateVal[DateCol]))

As I tested, it can work fine both in desktop and report server. 

q1.PNGq2.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @dagurkuden,

I can reproduce this issue on my side as well. Already reported it internally, will update to you once I get any information. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.