Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Size limitations when publishing to PBI Server

Hi,
I developed a dashboard in PBI Desktop and I'm thinking about publishing it to PBI Server.

The thing is that some of my fact tables are pretty big ~40 million records. All of the data is imported from SQL Server, and now the size of .pbix file is about 2GB, with everything imported I assume that it would be about 2.5-3GB.

My question is - is it possible to upload such report on PBI Server? I've read many different opinions about that and I'm not sure whether it is possible.

I would be glad if someone could explain this to me or direct me to some documentation or article on that.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,
I developed a dashboard in PBI Desktop and I'm thinking about publishing it to PBI Server.

The thing is that some of my fact tables are pretty big ~40 million records. All of the data is imported from SQL Server, and now the size of .pbix file is about 2GB, with everything imported I assume that it would be about 2.5-3GB.

My question is - is it possible to upload such report on PBI Server? I've read many different opinions about that and I'm not sure whether it is possible.

No I do not believe it is possible to upload files that large the documentation says that the max file size is 2 Gb (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/whats-new#large-file-uploaddownload ) 

For larger on-prem models you also have the option of building them in SQL Server Analysis Services. You then also have flexibility to use partitions so that you do not have to process then entire model every time you do a refresh.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

No I do not believe it is possible to upload files that large the documentation says that the max file size is 2 Gb (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/whats-new#large-file-uploaddownload ) 

For larger on-prem models you also have the option of building them in SQL Server Analysis Services. You then also have flexibility to use partitions so that you do not have to process then entire model every time you do a refresh.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.