Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

gaiusgw
Helper III
Helper III

Sharing report with multiple people with their own view

I have 8 people on my sales team. I have one report. I need to be able to share it with each of the 8 with filters that narrow down what they see to their own rep code. From I understand, I cannot share just tabs from my report which would be the simpliest option because I could create dupliates of tabs with the filters needed for each one. And if I create 8 different versions of the report, 8 versions will be importing the same dataset everyday which is just redundent. I am looking for an elegant solution to share a filtered version of one report to each of the 8 sales reps. Any suggestions? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
gaiusgw
Helper III
Helper III

So RLS actually has a few handicaps as a solution because there are tabs where I do actually need them to see info from other regions. But fortunately, I found a solution on another thread. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Duplicate-report-using-the-same-Dataset/td-p/355890

This is the solution that did the trick for me:

"Created a copy of the Power BI file giving it the name of the new report, so now I have a duplicate with all my data and visuals.

Deleted all the tables and queries from the report.  All the visuals still there but obviously all broken now as there's no data.

Get data from the BI Service and select the same dataset the report was originally based on and hey presto all the visuals work again.

Now when I publish to the service it's only a report and will stay connected to the original dataset so no duplicate data to refresh."

Credit to user @robofski 

With this persons solution, you can have multiple reports share the same dataset. It does take a little reconstructing but this did the trick for me. Now I have 8 pbix report files that I can filter lock for each rep and these reports share one dataset so there is no redundant datasets. 

Thanks for your brainstirming guys! 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
gaiusgw
Helper III
Helper III

So RLS actually has a few handicaps as a solution because there are tabs where I do actually need them to see info from other regions. But fortunately, I found a solution on another thread. 

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Duplicate-report-using-the-same-Dataset/td-p/355890

This is the solution that did the trick for me:

"Created a copy of the Power BI file giving it the name of the new report, so now I have a duplicate with all my data and visuals.

Deleted all the tables and queries from the report.  All the visuals still there but obviously all broken now as there's no data.

Get data from the BI Service and select the same dataset the report was originally based on and hey presto all the visuals work again.

Now when I publish to the service it's only a report and will stay connected to the original dataset so no duplicate data to refresh."

Credit to user @robofski 

With this persons solution, you can have multiple reports share the same dataset. It does take a little reconstructing but this did the trick for me. Now I have 8 pbix report files that I can filter lock for each rep and these reports share one dataset so there is no redundant datasets. 

Thanks for your brainstirming guys! 

AbhiSSRS
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

If I am not missing anything here, this is a typical RLS scenario. Please let know if you need any help setting up RLS. The below link has it.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-rls

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

You didn't specify that.  In that case you will want to think about using RLS.  

From my experience though RLS is the wrong answer in this scenario.  Sharing sales numbers across sales people will aid in their competitiveness.  (Of course comp is an entirely different story - there RLS is a must)

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Teach them how to set their own filters, how to create bookmarks, and how to call these bookmarks up again.

@lbendlin wrote:

Teach them how to set their own filters, how to create bookmarks, and how to call these bookmarks up again.

The problem is I don't want them to see each other's information. So what I wanted to do was set the filter, lock it and then share with each of them to prevent them from having visibility of each other. 

Hey!

Have you managed to do that without having to create multiple files?

for my purposes, i needed multiple files because i wanted each person to have access to the same data but with filters just for them. the solution i had above just makes it so that each file relies on the same dataset so that only has to pull once. 

I see. I did the same: multiple files with different filters to each sales person. The problem I face is when I want to make some changes in the report, adding new visuals or something related, I have to create the copies all over again. Sad 😞

Anyway, thanks for the reponse!

That's what you have "golden"  shared datasets for.  

yeah you got it. that is what i am stuck doing too. The biggest pain is rebuilding the mobile view in the new files because it cannot be copy and pasted from original file like the regular view. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.